How to disable DRLs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to disable DRLs

Just bought a slightly used 2009 GM LS that unfortunately has those darn daytime running lights. I hate em and want them off. I wanted to know if this is something that can be done by computer at the dealership or is it a physical wiring/drl module issue, ie does something have to be taken out under the dash/hood ect?? Any info would be appreciated.
    sigpicVORTEX
    2009 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
    2004 Mercury Marauder
    2005 Dodge Ram Hemi Quadcab
    2007 Harley-Davidson FLHT

Find out the laws in your area FIRST. In Canada they were required on new vehicles made after 1991...in my province, it's illegal to drive without them on as of May 1 this year. Even if your car doesn't have DRLs, you gotta have your lights on.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I live in Texas they are not required.
      sigpicVORTEX
      2004 Mercury Marauder

Comment

you have to take it to the ford dealer to have them hook up the ids computer to disable the day time running lights from the pcm I assume it was a formal rental car?
        if so rental cars are ruquired to have them on. our for dealer gets these cars all the time for used cars

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
        302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
        k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Originally posted by gabegt90 View Post
          you have to take it to the ford dealer to have them hook up the ids computer to disable the day time running lights from the pcm I assume it was a formal rental car?
          if so rental cars are ruquired to have them on. our for dealer gets these cars all the time for used cars
          Yes, its an LS Fleet and was some kind of rental/lease car. If it can be done thru the electronic brain Im going to go ahead and get it done. Thanks for the info.
          sigpicVORTEX
          2004 Mercury Marauder

Comment

click your parking brake down one click and remove the vacuum solonoid that disengages it in drive. This will turn them off but wont be enough to engage the brakes. this works on GM's not sure on fords.
            http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
            http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Working...
            X