Fixing my A/C and heater thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixing my A/C and heater thread

Okay, well both my a/c and heater don't work. I did some searching but all that info is a little overwhelming.
    Since you guys are so awesome! I thought it would be allot easier to start my own fix thread where I can communicate with you guys though the trouble shooting.

I'm really hoping it wont end up costing me more than $500 but we'll see how much more I can put into it. I have no classes on fri, sat and sunday so my idea is to do one or two simple things that can be finished in a day by a noob, every weekend till its fixed. This schedule should also give me time to find and order parts.

If we can come up with some kind of check list or something, I can go step by step and post updates. And now that I think about it, I can take tons of good pics or something so the next noob has a reference w/some pictures.

So let me tell you what I do know. I dont have climate control. The coolant level seems fine. In both a/c and heater mode, the air blows. A/C doesnt work at all, it blows, but not cold. Also, its already been converted to 134. The heater also blows air but is not cold. I don't think I smell any coolant but I'll double check again tomorrow. I've read to have somebody check for leaks in the heater core by revving the car up so I'll try to do that tomorrow. Okay so I think that's it. I do have a mechanic that can come to the house for $45 p/h that wont try to dick me around so if its a complicated install and/or if I need some special $20 tool, it might be smart to have a pro do it so I'm not left car-less during the weekdays. Thanks!
    88 MGM 5.0 stock

as far as the ac goes, is there a charge in the system? the compressor will not kick on if the pressure is too low........it may have a leak.......the spring lock connectors for the ac lines are known to leak. making sure the system is charged is your first step

the heat.......are the heater hoses hot? is the radiator full?
    the heater core may be clogged up, try flushing it out with a garden hose.......best bet to get the heater hoses off the core is to cut the hoses and get new ones......do not pull or pry on the heater core tubes, then for sure you will be spending a weekend with your dash out changing the heater core

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

What does "compressor will not kick" mean? Will I know when it engages or something? Can I see a mechanical movement of something when it turns on? How should I check to see if it has a charge?

For the heater, when you ask "is the radiator full?" do you mean the overflow tank or am I supposed to look into the radiator? So replacing the hoses would be step one for the heater fix?
      88 MGM 5.0 stock

Comment

When the AC compressor engages, you will see the entire front of the unit spinning with the belt, when it is not engaged, you will still see the belt moving by but the front of the AC compressor will remain stationary. The AC compressor is the belt-driven accessory on the top of the passenger's side of the front of the engine.

Comment

One important question, do you have automatic climate control? You'll know if you do because the heat adjusting lever will have numbers on it.
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

The heater also blows air but is not cold.
            well, the heat is not supposed to blow cold, so if you're expecting it to, that may be part of the problem

+1 on finding out if you have automatic temperature control or not. Numbers on the top slider and "automatic temperature control" on the unit will tell the tale. That particular system has a known gremlin that causes no heat, but the non-automatic ones don't have it and its probably something totally different.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Okay, I did mention it in my first post but no, I dont have climate control. I just checked to see if the a/c was turning and it doesnt. Does that mean its not charged?

Oh and I didnt smell any coolant when I turned on the heat. Soon as I get a chance I'll have somebody rev the car up to see if the heater core is leaking. But wouldnt the coolant level be low if there is a leak? My coolant level seems fine.
              88 MGM 5.0 stock

Comment

Can somebody answer the above? Thanks.
                88 MGM 5.0 stock

Comment

please? I need to fix maan...
                  88 MGM 5.0 stock

Comment

if you're not smelling anything, its probably safe to say either the heater core is unhooked, or its not leaking. Have a look at the firewall on the passenger side. There should be two hoses going to there. If there are just two metal pipes sticking out, the heater core is bypassed and thats why you have no heat. Honestly the way the non-ATC system works its damn near impossible to have any real failures. Its a door that goes from hot to cold, and a cable between the lever and the door. If the temperature slider feels like its got some resistance, its probably hooked up and moving things around properly.

As for the AC, my guess would be no refrigerant. You'd need to check the pressure on the AC system to verify that tho.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      if you're not smelling anything, its probably safe to say either the heater core is unhooked, or its not leaking. Have a look at the firewall on the passenger side. There should be two hoses going to there. If there are just two metal pipes sticking out, the heater core is bypassed and thats why you have no heat. Honestly the way the non-ATC system works its damn near impossible to have any real failures. Its a door that goes from hot to cold, and a cable between the lever and the door. If the temperature slider feels like its got some resistance, its probably hooked up and moving things around properly.

As for the AC, my guess would be no refrigerant. You'd need to check the pressure on the AC system to verify that tho.
                      Oh crap!

Okay so it looks like its being bypassed. Am I right to guess that the heater stopped working or was leaking and the previous owner decided to just unhook it rather than fixing it? What should I do next?

I'll get the refrigerant level/pressure checked for the a/c. It would be awesome if all it needs is a charge but I wont get my hopes up.
                      88 MGM 5.0 stock

Comment

could be the core blew, or maybe one of the hoses failed and someone bypassed it. Hook it back up and see what happens. If it steams and stinks, you replace the heater core.

Do you really need heat there in Hawaii though?

Comment

I do when I'm at 14k feet. lol

What size tubing should I get?
                          88 MGM 5.0 stock

Comment

get the molded heater hoses for that model car. One is shaped sort of like an S and you'll never get straight hose in there without kinking it. I'm sort of curious what they did with the hoses though. One of the lines comes off a steel pipe along the lower intake, the other comes from a connection at the front corner of the intake. Usually when stuff is bypassed, its just looped together with some hose, but you might find rubber caps.

Comment

Should I not connect it?
                              88 MGM 5.0 stock

Comment

Working...
                              X