L.E.D. lights in the Speedo cluster? - 91 CV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

L.E.D. lights in the Speedo cluster? - 91 CV

I recently got a new speedo cluster for my 91... (Mine, the case was all cracked and falling apart from the heat) I figured while I had the dash apart, I would install L.E.D. lights in the cluster, to make it brighter. Also it would be less heat, which would make the speedo case be less likely to crack and fall apart. Has anyone done that here? Was wondering which lights to use, to make it brighter, as well. The dash lights on these cars have alwasy been dim, at best...
    I gues what I am needing to know is if anyone did it, and did it make the speedo cluster brighter? And if it did, which ones did you use? (Also maybe some photos "before and after" to see the difference?)

Thanks for any help, in advance... Tom...

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
    Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

I have not before picture right now, but I did it on a 91 police speedo. Here are the results; You want any LEDs that are code 194 replacement bulbs. I got mine off ebay.

"Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
    1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Did it seem brighter? (Can't view the picture right now... at work, damn Navy computers!) That is the main thing i am looking for... since the stock bulbs suck.. too dim...

I'll check out the picture at home...

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…

Comment

Didn't 87gtVIC do a big thing on that.
        1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
        2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
        sigpic

Comment

Sorta....but I have the other type of speedometer. And Yes trwp72 everything is much brighter. A lot of people lately are installing LED's into their speedometer and all of the results are fabulous.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Sorry I posted it at school and they must have fudged it up, and yes it seemed much brighter.

"Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
            1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Is that blue bulbs?
              Or white?

Comment

Blue, sorry. I just liked blue. White should be very bright.
                1985 GMC 1500

Comment

I think I'll go red. I'll have to remove the pissy blue filters from the cluster, but that's no biggy.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Do you have any pictures of the bulbs them selves so I sort of know which ones you have? They come in all different intensitys.. Yours are about right, don't want it to get TOO bright! Thanks.. Tom....

Comment

sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Yeah the 5 light LEDs work well, there what I used.
                          1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                            I think I'll go red. I'll have to remove the pissy blue filters from the cluster, but that's no biggy.
                            I wonder how the red will look on the silver in our clusters.
                            Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

i'm kinda interested to find out myself.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X