No announcement yet.

3G Alternator/Tripminder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I went over and pulled some parts off the CV today.

I pulled the harness out for the TM.

And I can plug the original clock harness into it then just splice in the speed and fuel flow wires.

Ok, now the Green w/white wire is speed sensor, light blue w/pink is fuel flow, black is another ground wire, and what is the dark blue wire for? (Dark blue on vehicle side of plug, light blue w/red on TM side.)
    "Beasty Cruiser" '87 Grand Marquis LS 2-Door - Too much damage took its toll. Transmission blew, now a parts car.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve'87 View Post
      ...and what is the dark blue wire for? (Dark blue on vehicle side of plug, light blue w/red on TM side.)
      Is that an illumination wire that makes the unit dim when the headlights are turned on?
      "Beasty Cruiser" '87 Grand Marquis LS 2-Door - Too much damage took its toll. Transmission blew, now a parts car.

Comment

Yes..light blue and red is for dimmer according to my evtm. No sign of a dark blue one though in this book I have.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Ok, I went over and pulled some parts off the CV today.

I pulled the harness out for the TM.

And I can plug the original clock harness into it then just splice in the speed and fuel flow wires.

Ok, now the Green w/white wire is speed sensor, light blue w/pink is fuel flow, black is another ground wire, and what is the dark blue wire for? (Dark blue on vehicle side of plug, light blue w/red on TM side.)
          The black wire is actually for the VSS (-) The green white wire is VSS (+)

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
            The black wire is actually for the VSS (-) The green white wire is VSS (+)
            Gotcha. The thought had crossed my mind since the VSS wire under the dash had a companion black wire.

Also, since I was tearing stuff apart on the vic, I went ahead and pulled the #34 wire and terminal from the ECU plug. I'm pretty sure my GM has the fuel wire dangling under the hood, but just in case.

The blue wire went over to a plug on the left side of the booster. And of course my GM is nothing like this.

EDIT: This is what the GM looks like:

This is the wire I believe is the fuel flow wire.
            Last edited by Steve'87; 06-20-2010, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yucatecd View Post
              It's an odd feeling when the alternator light goes on and the electrics act up and it gets odder when you pull over and open the hood and your engine's on fire. Not recommended for those traveling w/o a fire extinguisher.

Donald McCaig
              Thanks for the reminder....extinguisher now in car.

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
              Actually, there is an aftermarket regulator block for the 2G that converts it to a post.
              WAI (transpo) FR191

Alex.
              That is interesting, however, if I'm going to spend any money on this, I might as well just get the 3G alternator.

I inspected the wires and plugs, and they look good, no signs of heat or stress. I'll just have to keep a close eye on them until I do the upgrade.

Comment

Gotcha. The thought had crossed my mind since the VSS wire under the dash had a companion black wire.

Also, since I was tearing stuff apart on the vic, I went ahead and pulled the #34 wire and terminal from the ECU plug. I'm pretty sure my GM has the fuel wire dangling under the hood, but just in case.

The blue wire went over to a plug on the left side of the booster. And of course my GM is nothing like this.

EDIT: This is what the GM looks like:

This is the wire I believe is the fuel flow wire.
                That's the fuel flow wire. I cut the evap purge solenoid connector on a junk car (by the intake manifold). i used it so I wouldn't have to cut into the original computer wiring harness, and then I just ran the fuel flow wire into the car through the plug in the firewall.

Comment

Tripminder is installed and working great.

Comment

Working...
                  X