No announcement yet.

No brake lights????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went to Auto Zone, and Murray's (O'Riley's) and the switch they have has the hazard flasher on the other side of the column? Anybody heard of this before?

George
    1986 Mercury Grand Marquis "5.0" (160,000)

2011 Ford Crown Victoria "4.6" (54,000)

2015 Jeep Wrangler JK Willys "3.6" (48,000)

Comment

Part pictured upside down?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Nope I tried it out definately has the hazard flasher on the wrong fucking side and its up almost to the top, it physically fits kind of but its otherwise wayyyyyy off. Thanks China. Working on trying a different brand of replacemnet tonight.

Comment

Got a Borg Warner switch about 30 minutes ago, took roughly 10 minutes to install. Thanks again guys!

George

Comment

problem solved then?
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yep, everything works great.

George

Comment

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but same thing happened here except for all blinkers and hazards work well. was it the brake switch or the multi-function switch, and are they the same thing?

Thanks, and sorry again!

Comment

could be either. the brake switch feeds into the multifunction switch and then out to the brake lights. If you have a high mount brake light... have someone tape the brake while you watch. If nothing comes on and the bulbs are good, then it's the brake switch on the pedal. If the high mount comes on, but the tail lights don't... it's the multifunction switch.

If it's the brake switch... first check to make sure it's not just out of adjustment.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by Skwerly View Post
                    Sorry to bring up an old thread, but same thing happened here except for all blinkers and hazards work well. was it the brake switch or the multi-function switch, and are they the same thing?

Thanks, and sorry again!
                    What year is your car?

Comment

sorry, it's a 1986. how does that brake switch come off? haha i can't figure it out and i'm losing light, need the car tonight!

Comment

If it's like the one on my 91, you pull the red cotter pin and pull the little pin through the brake pedal out and lift the switch out. Have someone tap the brake pedal. If your center brake light comes on, you need to replace the multifunction switch. If it doesn't, check your brake light switch and fuses.
                        There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                        91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                        93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                        Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                        Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                        95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

thanks! yea, the center one stays off too, but they all come on with the hazards. the new switch didn't fix my problem. there is also a white plastic plunger thing at the waaay top of the pedal that clicks and has wires coming off of it. i imagine that sends power to the switch? do those ever go bad? i really don't wanna have to take this thing in so that i can pay $200 for someone to fix a busted wire but i'm bout licked here...

bulbs and fuse are all good, as well as the sockets. all lights come on with the hazards.

Comment

the plunger is for your cruise control.
                            91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.

Comment

the high mount even comes on with the hazards? sounds like a loose ground in the multifunction switch or possibly a bad multifunction switch. I've never seen a high mount blink with the tails (unless it was an added afterthought and they just tied it into one of the tail lights)

do the blinkers work and does one of the blinkers blink the high mount? If so... then it's probably a bum brake switch or multifunction switch. Try looking in the trunk and seeing if there's a wire from one of the brake lights up to the high mount. If there is, disconnect it and see if that fixes anything (if it's not too hard to disconnect). If it's NOT hooked up that way and really is a stock option... there's some wacky stuff going on with the wiring.

Comment

I've heard that the high mount center was supposed to come on with the hazards on some of them. I know it doesn't with mine tho.

Comment

Working...
                                X