Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'91 GMCP 3g upgrade, now dead %^&)!@#*(*(!@%+__$&)!@**~$&&!^

'91 GMCP.

Attempted to set up w/truck harness, cut g/r wire & spliced in to harness, output cable to bat. getting only 12v @ bat.

Running out of time & need to drive car tonight. Swapped old set up back in, resoldered g/r still only 12 v @ bat.

Either fuse link (was not in circuit w/new alt) is blown or I am not getting a good contact in connectors w/meter.

WFT?

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

I have no idea what your problem is, but I've done the 3G upgrade on a 91CV and it's not hard or complicated at all. There is plenty of info. here that makes the swap very clear. And If that still doesn't work maybe I or somebody here can explain it.

Good Luck!!

Comment

don't forget about the yellow wire. Check the alt wiring diagrams against what you have wired up.
      Everything to do with interior and body electrical including headlights and tail lights. CFI specific discussions and AC/heating systems.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Stator wire attached?

Comment

Just got home, had to take my wife's van tonight. The worst part is now the original set up is not charging.....

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

The green wire is hooked up right?
            Green wire makes the alternator circuit complete. If you don't have that, neither one will charge. Check by the fenderwell, the contacts have been known to break there.

The orange/yellow wire gets hooked up to the batt terminal on the alternator. and the white wire goes on the stator. If all is hooked up properly, then it should be charging.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	'91 3g alt 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	266.2 KB
ID:	1267803Click image for larger version

Name:	'91 3g alt 003.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	1267804
              Originally posted by mcninetyone View Post
              I have no idea what your problem is, but I've done the 3G upgrade on a 91CV and it's not hard or complicated at all. There is plenty of info. here that makes the swap very clear. And If that still doesn't work maybe I or somebody here can explain it.

Good Luck!!

I grasp the 2 bk/or, they are replaced by the alt output that goes to the bat or hot side of solenoid. the yellow is handled by the truck alt harness, it loops back to the output wire. The w/bk loops back to the alt spade lug. The g/r was spliced to the factory g/r wire.

What is the w/r that goes to the grey connector?I am hesitant to continue since the reinstalled stock set up is now failing to charge.

Looking @ the pic now, I see that the w/r is probably the other end of the oil pressure wire.

I think I had it wired correctly. I will post a pic of the truck alt harness tomorrow.

I am still confounded by the lack of charge with the original set up now.....

Thanks

Comment

does the batt or amp light (forget which you have) light up when you turn the key on? If not, theres a problem in the green/red wire circuit. If thats not complete, the alternator just won't charge.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  does the batt or amp light (forget which you have) light up when you turn the key on? If not, theres a problem in the green/red wire circuit. If thats not complete, the alternator just won't charge.
                  This is the same car that I was driving w/o the cluster LOL green/red BTDT!!
                  The wire was spliced in.... & has been re soldered & continuity checked when stock set up was reinstalled .
                  This car has never shown me a bat/amp light even when previous alt/batteries died. It would flash the airbag light before it puked! The airbag light has been flashing for a couple weeks now , I did check the voltage to the bat w/all accys on & it was acceptable (14.something) before I started this new can o worms....
                  I will be playing w/it again later today when I get home.

Comment

did you fuse the 3g charge cable? did it ever blow? I rewired my original harness and left the stock yellow/fused wires on the solenoid. the only problem i had was the pulley being to large and it wouldn't charge at idle.
                    Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by cld783 View Post
                      did you fuse the 3g charge cable? did it ever blow? I rewired my original harness and left the stock yellow/fused wires on the solenoid. the only problem i had was the pulley being to large and it wouldn't charge at idle.

I didn’t remove anything from the solenoid yet. The charge cable was protected w/a 175 a megafuse, I ran out of time yesterday, I don’t think it blew, I will check it.

I will be looking at the car again this afternoon if it doesn’t rain.

Comment

Measure the voltage at the output stud of the alternator also.

Remind me, What alternator did the car have originally? A 2G? Or the externally regulated unit?

Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
                          Measure the voltage at the output stud of the alternator also.

Remind me, What alternator did the car have originally? A 2G? Or the externally regulated unit?

Alex.

I’ve got continuity from:

g/r @ alt to main harness plug

both bk/or from alt to plug,

bk/or & y @ solenoid have continuity through fuse links. I DO NOT have continuity from bk/or ring @ sol back to main harness @ alt???
                          Is there a hidden fuse link?

Have continuity between w/bk from large plug to small one on alt

dash is still partially dissembled so I checked from g/r to connector behind cluster have cont. BAT lite comes on when key is cycled, but not when running.

I will go check output stud….

Comment

there may be a fuse link right there near the starter solenoid. Not really sure. If not, its probably just crusty at the plug there on the driver's side fender where all that stuff plugs together.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

[/QUOTE=mitymerc;638140]

I will go check output stud….[/QUOTE]

Oops, I can’t check @ output stud because I am just trying to get the stock setup to work @ this point!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X