A/C intermittent at times??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/C intermittent at times??

On my 85 Marquis when the cars ideling, or just cruiseing AC blows ice cold. However when i step on it a little the blower motor will stop blowing on HI and blow low and hot air will come out. when i let my foot off and maintain a steady speed the ac blows perfectly .

I never had this car in the summer untill this one so i have no idea how the ac worked prior to me owning the car.

i deleated the smog pump and got a smaller belt so i thought maybe the belt was slipping but it seems like its pretty tight.

Any ideas ?
    1985 Crown Victoria Tudor
    1990 Mustang LX 5.0 conv
    1996 F250 Power Stroke
    2004 Mustang GT conv

Sounds like a vacuum leak whereas the blower speed isn't changing but the vents are trying to switch to defrost due to lack if vacuum. If you lose vacuum the vents will default to hot defrost. I had this exact problem on my 88 and it was the little hvac check valve near the firewall. Follow the vacuum line from the soup can and you will find the check valve. I got my replacement from my local ford dealer for $10. I don't have the part # but have found similar check valves at my local oreillys and napa I'll see if I can find you a pic of one.
    2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

Comment

Unfortunately I am not having any luck locating one, hopefully someone else will come along and be able to help.
      2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

Comment

Automatic climate control, or manual? if its auto, it definitely sounds like a leak. Check the soup can, the thermal blower lockout (its the thing in the heater hose with 2 wires and 2 vacuum lines) and the check valve at the firewall. If any of those things are leaky or bad, as soon as the system loses vacuum, such as when you give it some throttle, it defaults to hot defrost.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
        X