general a/c questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

general a/c questions

I put the new dryer on along with new hoses and seals and i took the 84 over to my buddys house to get some r134 put in. We put vacuum to the high and low side and pumped the system for about 15 mins. Then we went ahead and started pumping freon in but the compressor never turned on. So we jumped the compressor with 12 volts and it turned on but the air never got cold. The line where the orifice tube is located was ice cold but never got colder after that part in the line that continues to the compressor or dryer. Does that mean the orifice tube is bad? i have a new one just havent installed it yet. Also once we where running the compressor i took the blue cap off where the low side is on the dryer and air/freon was pumping out of it even with the new dryer and valve on. Is that normal or is the schrader valve bad or does the cap need to stay on at all times with the car running. So sense there is no power getting to the compressor besides jumping it does that mean theres a bad fuse some where? thanks matt
    1984 mercury grand marquis ls rebuilt 306 flat top pistons with factory cfi and lincoln headers with single glasspack dual snorkle air cleaner. Gloss black paint with slick top coversion.
    1986 mercury grand marquis colony park 5.0 sefi dual exhuast thrush turbos with h pipe and turbines

How many pounds did you put in? I just did mine, it took 2 lbs 12 oz. Its not likely to run unless you get at least 2lbs in there to trip the switch and make stuff cold.

What are your pressures, and what ambient temperature? Without gauges its almost impossible to diagnose an AC system.

No, it should not leak from the low side fitting with the cap off. Either the fitting is bad or something is up with it. Are you using the cheap aluminum fittings that just have a push rod in there to actuate the original R12 schraeder, or are you using the better steel fittings that have their own valve and require that you remove the original R12 schraeder ? The cheap ones have been known to get that pushrod cocked sideways and hold the valve open. if you're using the kind that requires you remove the existing valve and you don't do it, that also does odd things so be sure of which kind you are using.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

as a general rule, you should always replace the orifice tube when doing the rest of the stuff (and it's required for full warranty on the compressors of that's replaced as well). Besides... it's an uber cheap part. As for power not getting to the compressor... the low pressure cutout switch should attach to the dryer or hose on the low side. If that switch is bad, the compressor will never turn on. Also, when pumping vacuum... let it sit for a while to make sure there's no leaks in the system. If there are leaks... you should probably replace all the o-rings at each connection or spend some time finding out where the leak is.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

my buddy is a a/c tech on house hold systems.We used all the gauges and what not and he found no leaks and he fully charged the system.The high side held good pressure but the low side was acting up and thats when i noticed that only the hose where the orifice tube is was ice cold.The valve that is on the low side has just the r134 fitting that just screws on. I noticed that it started to leak after 5 miles of driving. But that was with the cap off as i forgot to install it back on and with the compressor still running. I tested the power going to the compressor and it was not getting any power along with that big inline fuse that is up by the blower motor and there was no power at the fuse or the wires leading to it. any ideas? thanks
        1984 mercury grand marquis ls rebuilt 306 flat top pistons with factory cfi and lincoln headers with single glasspack dual snorkle air cleaner. Gloss black paint with slick top coversion.
        1986 mercury grand marquis colony park 5.0 sefi dual exhuast thrush turbos with h pipe and turbines

Comment

I just put the new orifice tube in and during the process i noticed that i had left the dryer switch unplugged. That is what has caused my problems with the compressor not turning on correct. thanks

Comment

yup... that'll do it every time.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

well got the a/c working and it blows ice cold in 120 degree weather! I had another issue i wanted to bring up. I put the 560k6 belt on as i have the smog pump removed. The belt fits fine and is tight but it squeaks qutie a bit for the first 5 miles of driving when cool out. The belt is from kragen and is a mastercraft brand. You guys think i should get a different brand belt or maybe buy some of the belt dressing to lube the belt. I did put some soap on the idler pully and it stopped the squeak but only for a short time. Thanks

Comment

the tensioner pulley may be loosing it's lubrication. I had to replace mine on my 88 recently. It's a royal PITA to get the old pulley off. You have to take the center cap off to reveal the clip that holds the stupid thing on. Getting it off can require a pulley puller too.

You may just need some belt dressing to clean off the pulleys with. If any grease got on them, they will tend to be squeaky.

Comment

When I replaced the tensioner pulley I got the pulley and the whole tensioner assembly. I think it took me all of ten minutes to change and cost me about $20.
                  2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

Comment

when I looked... I couldn't find the assembly for less than $50 and it was special order. This was just a few months back.

Comment

nice... I'll have to bookmark that one.

Comment

Some cars had the bolt-on pulley, some had that semi-replaceable thing thats a PITA to deal with. Luckily my original and my replacement were Motorcraft all-metal bolt on pulley units. I am not a fan of plastic idler wheels. If the choice was plastic pulley or replace the bearings in my original, I'd be on the horn with McMaster-Carr to order up some bearings.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                        X