This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zoomie View Post
    i am inclined to think you have a vacumn leak somewhere.
    Yes this is what I am thinking as well. It will pull about 18" when it has been driven, but I haven't hooked a gauge up on a cold start, when it is having the problem.

I know all my lines are snug as I have went through them over and over, maybe it only has a leak when its cold? if that could be possible.

If i need to take off the lower intake again and set a new gasket on there I will certainly swap out the valve covers while I'm in there again
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

Did you retorque the lower intake after 10 minutes of run time? Ford specifies to do that. Obviously you gotta take the upper intake back off, but that's no problem as the upper gasket is reuseable.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
        Did you retorque the lower intake after 10 minutes of run time? Ford specifies to do that. Obviously you gotta take the upper intake back off, but that's no problem as the upper gasket is reuseable.
        No I did not. Seems like that would be an easy fix.

I was re looking over the vac lines again and noticed something else that was a stupid fix that helped the cold start a bit.

The spout was not fully connected. It was on there just not pushed back in fully. Stupid me I forgot that.

Also I checked the vacuum at cold start and it was pulling 18 as well. When it hesitated though it lost some vacuum which would be expected I guess.

Since plugging the spout in it didn't stall when cold, but today was about 70° out.

I will need to look into tightening the intake down when warm and checking those temp sensors. Then hopefully all will be good.

Thanks guys
        Last edited by fmansfield444; 10-22-2012, 07:10 PM.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

Added a whole new cruise ball on the car today and the cruise ran stupid like mentioned in the other post. So I switched the SEFI cruise cable to the old CFI ball and it worked great.

The SEFI ball went off and on the throttle. Not sure why, they looked the same. Oh well.

Comment

Alright sorry to keep bringing this topic up, but I am once again having a cold start problem.

a few days ago I resealed the intake and am now getting 20" on the vacuum gauge. This seemed to help other than a very slight idle problem. The car stalled a few times when I wasnt giving it gas. I thought this was the IAC, which it still may be I will getting another one either Thursday or Friday.

I went to start it yesterday morning and it was 35 degrees outside and raining. It stalled one time and ran fine after that driving it to work and school.

Then last night I went to start it and it wouldn't start till after a few tries, then I got it home with it kind of sputtering once in a while. Seeming to almost cut out.

Now today I went to try and start it and it is doing the same crap as before, wont stay running even when I give it throttle, and hard to start at times.

The IAC part number is the same as it is on my van, and the IAC from the Vic will idle my van no problem, so maybe this can be ruled out. But I'm sure the different engines require different amounts of air.

Both temp sensors are reading correct Ohms.

Timing seemed to be fine a few days ago when it was running like a champ.

I am at a loss here as I don't know what to check anymore. The only code it is giving is the smog relay one.

The only other thing I think could be a problem is I'm pretty sure the new Harness would have a new CAM sensor connection and I'm not sure where this is. Maybe since I wouldn't have that plugged in it is running like this

Any help is appreciated!!

Comment

Cam sensor? You mean the ignition module on the side of your distributor?

Comment

No I thought I read in the EVTM there was a cam sensor on the engine but if not I'm probably wrong.

I have a new ignition module on the distributor. and 2 new oxygen sensors.

I cleaned iac and tested the coolant and intake air sensors.

My map will hold vacuum no problem.

Anything I'm overlooking that affects a cold engine from running? Once it's warm it will be fine until the next morning when it sits overnight

Comment

there are two temperature sensors, one for coolant, one for air. The coolant sensor for the ECM is in the fitting for the heater hose, front right corner of the lower intake. Its the 2 wire sensor. The air intake temperature sensor is in the lower on the left side, behind the #5 injector. Check those for proper operation with a voltmeter and the charts at oldfuelinjection.com. If the sensors are wonky, it will have cold start problems.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah I checked both of them with the charts on those two pages. The ohm readings on them are fine. They both checked out alright. I also checked all the injectors prior to installing them and those were fine as well. Maybe the wiring to those temperature sensors could be shorting out

Comment

Where does the ECM come from? Is it a used one? The capaciters can start to leak when they get older. They can cause all kind of gremlins...
                      Click on picture to see the video!

My other cars: 1986 Mustang GT 1967 Ford Fairlane 500, 2dr hrtp under construction

Comment

Originally posted by Deermann View Post
                        Where does the ECM come from? Is it a used one? The capaciters can start to leak when they get older. They can cause all kind of gremlins...
                        I guess the ECM could be a bad one. I got it from an 88 CV in the junkyard, along with all this other SEFI stuff.

Would any other SEFI ECM work with my current "88" setup? Or would I strictly need an 88 ECM?

There is an 89 GM at the yard now. It's ECM could work right?

Comment

88-91 will work..

Comment

Had an idea today. The car had run great for about a week after I had resealed the intake. During this time it was parked on a paved driveway.

The last night it ran good I parked it in the alley behind my house. (on grass). After this is when it doesn't want to stay running.

Before when it kept running bad it was also parked on the grass.

So unless I have a faulty ECM, which I would think to be rare since it runs fine at times. The only varying factor is me parking it on grass.

Maybe the dew in the grass is creating some moisture in the gas tank? I checked under the rotor cap and it was fine, but I did notice some moisture in the throttle body.

I'll have to get some gas and treatment and keep it parked on pavement like I had done before and see how it works out.

Any thoughts on this? Any advice on a good gas treatment?

Comment

Pretty sure I finally solved the problem. I was doing some looking around and found the pickup in my distributor was cracked and flaking away. This probably caused my code 14 I get sometimes. I put a new distributor in and it has started and idled fine ever since.

It does seem to have a little less power with the new distributor though. Anyone else noticed a loss in power after putting a new distributor in before?

Comment

Might be a bit tighter? Less play.

Comment

Working...
                                X