Cruise Control Wiring Diagram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cruise Control Wiring Diagram

I don’t use my cruise control and would like to install driving lights using the cruise control ON/OFF buttons to activate the new lights.

I checked the 6-pin harness connected to the cruise control vacuum canister, but could only find one constant positive power. I could not find the wire that turns positive went the ON button is hit.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the cruise control? Am I looking wrong place?
    Last edited by BigT; 11-11-2012, 03:33 AM. Reason: Correct spelling

sigpic

I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate.
    George Burns

The cruise control buttons are all tied to different resistors. The cruise control module uses a voltage comparator to figure out which one is actually being pressed to figure out what it's supposed to do. To do what you're trying to do, you would have to replace the cruise control module with a microcontroller and program it to do the same thing. The problem with the idea is that removing the cruise module and using a relay network would cause the horn to sound when tripping them unless the coil in the initial relay has a rather high resistance value.

Power comes in from the horn circuit on the wht/ppl and the lt-blu/blk goes to the cruise module. If the resistance is low (probably below 100 ohms) on the lt-blu/blk line to chassis ground, then the horn will sound when you press the ON key on the cruise controls. If you can set up a relay network with a primary coil greater than 1000 ohms, it might work.

This relay setup should work.
    Attached Files

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Crap! I was hoping for an easy solution to this problem. I wanted a simple ON/OFF switch at my finger tips while driving. I'll have to come up with something else. Thanks for the info!

sigpic

I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate.
      George Burns

Comment

Working...
      X