Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heater Core

For my 88 Town car.........

Im gonna try this, and yes, I know there will be a litney of four letter words that may come
    close to rival my infantry days in the Marines.

Let me start with, what type\...... Aluminium? / Brand?

Thanks mang
    Last edited by Grand1; 04-03-2013, 11:20 PM.

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Holy hell, good luck to you you brave soul!
    - Juan
    -White 1995 Grand Marquis, 16xxxx -Muffler delete with straight pipe in place -Custom gauges by Scott -KYB shocks -Nightshaded tail lights -Blacked out rear fascia -All auxiliary lights LEDs -3 broken window motors -6w LED CHMSL mod -101mm intake snout made with duct hose -Gatorback Belt -180 T-Stat -P&P TB -Gods Head badge in rear -Good Ole' K&N Air Filter -2005 Mustang Wheels with 1.5" F and 2" R Spacers -Cady 4 Tone Horn -Mercury Sable Console w/ Cut Seats -Taurus SHO Spoiler (Pending Application)

-2nd panther owned. '03 black n white CVPI, sold.

Comment

I have used the Four seasons brand. Whatever brand you use, have it pressure tested before you install it.

Comment

Presure Charge, check

BTW, I have some telltale signs...fogging windshield, sometimes a whiff of antifreeze through vents

Comment

You have more guts than me doing a heater core R n R on a Panther class car.

Comment

I can do the swap in less than 2 hours. Its not that bad. Mustangs with AC are much worse.

I use whatever the local rad hop sells me, he pressure tests them and puts a bit more solder on the inlet/outlet.
            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Sorry fellas...whats R and R?

Comment

Remove and replace. If you have done one before, not a real big job. Do you have a Ford factory shop manual for the TC ? If not ,I would suggest getting one. Check Ebay.
                Last edited by Mainemantom; 04-04-2013, 01:07 AM.

Comment

Thank you for the nomenclature, and showing my newbie(ess)

Comment

I'll be tackling the heater core in my 90 grand marquis pretty soon. I'm hoping that I'm just seeing it as being more complicated than it is. My biggest fear is that I'll crack something, strip some threads, drop an important screw, or not remember how to put it back together correctly. I figure if I just move slow and steady, stay focused, follow instructions, be extremely thorough, and label every screw, nut, clip, bolt, or what not that I remove then I should be fine.

I just grabbed my heater core from rock auto, aluminum for sure. Should I really have it pressure tested before I put it in brand new? Like at a radiator shop or something?

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                      I can do the swap in less than 2 hours. Its not that bad. Mustangs with AC are much worse.

I use whatever the local rad hop sells me, he pressure tests them and puts a bit more solder on the inlet/outlet.
                      Too bad we're too far away - I'd have you do my 87 and 95 GM's!! Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

I just did the one in my 88 TC, look up the video on youtube about 20 min long or so gives heads up on screw locations and such. I had 2 screws at base of windshield I had to grind off and replace but it wasnt as bad as people make it seem little over 2hrs I think.

Comment

I did one in my 85 vic about a month ago, different dash but it took me about 3 hours. Be very careful though, my dash (behind wood trim) was very brittle and cracked around 3 or 4 screw holes so I need to replace that now.

Just be easy with the plastic parts and don't try to force anything. Also I like to flush the radiator when putting a new core in.

Good luck!
                          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

My dad, who sold L/M + used for 33 years was saying that Sables/Taurus you can make quick work of a heater-core job by removing the glovebox. Don't know if it's applicable to our cars, he's heard you have to tear apart half the dash usually to get it. Dunno how many hours are listed in the Chiltons.
                            Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

All you have to do on our cars is drop the entire dash. And not ruin the gear indicator. It's not too bad. Though I've done at least 20 of them.
                              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Working...
                              X