Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Door Lock Actuators - 91 Grand Marquis

91 Grand Marquis.

Got my front 2 door lock actuators replaced successfully with some Dorman ones from RockAuto. they work great. The front passenger one was so frozen, it broke the unlock/lock indicator. It also caused the door to half latch, or only open to the first release. Works like new now.

My rear 2 were not frozen like the fronts, but they are getting replaced. Got panel off, drilled rivet out, got connector off and...how in the heck do you remove it? There's no room to articulate/swing out the old one.

Do you have to remove the door latch with it still attached?
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
    03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

long angle nosed needle nose pliers... or hand contortions. I went with the latter, but then I only had to replace one of those plastic clips and the actuators work fine. I've also only ever known anyone to have issues with the fronts due to the water dripping issue. the rears don't ever seem to have that issue.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Up here they all seem to have problems, front, rear, wagon rear. Right now the only one in my 91 that works right (most of the time) is my front driver door lock actuator. I don't remember what I did to get the rear actuators out but I seem to recall them being more difficult than the front as well.

I want to say that what might have done was get the actuator free from the mount (I do it the hard way instead of drilling the mount out, unless it's a plastic mount and it breaks on me) then hit lock button to retract the rod into the actuator may give you a little more room to work with it. I'm going off of a very fuzzy memory from about 10 years ago, so I'm not actually sure if that's how it worked but that's how I imagine that it worked anyway.

I know for sure that another time I did it that I just bent the hell out of that rod since I had a good one anyway.

Unbolting the door latch would probably give you room to maneuver the actuator around to get that rod disconnected. Crappy fuzzy long term memory playing tricks on me, unbolting the latch sounds like something I might have done too, just can't remember.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

For future reference - a nut driver on the door latches, remove the bolts for the latch, swivel the latch. Now you can unhook the actuator.

The dorman replacements do not include the right length rod!!! Just a warning for the rears for anyone.

I am going to source some Ford ones for the rear, and use the remaining 2 dormans for the front...esp since those are easy to change. Already have a Dorman for the tail gate.

This wagon is from Ohio from 1990-2003, so that's probably what contributed to the actuators slow demise...esp since prior owner's son that drove this car never did anything with them (he broke some of the plastic trim switches inside the car :\)
        -Nick M.
        Columbia, SC

Comment

I think my dad had switched the rod on the actuator but I have never done it myself, so not sure what it would take to do that. Also, a lot of them that I have seen come with different shape and length rods separately which would also seem to indicate that you should be able to switch the rod on the actuator.
          Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

I took an old one apart and now I see what's going on. Someone mentioned in another thread how you can pop off the cap at the end, then remove the 3 ball bearings, and switch out the rod.

So am going to get a couple of FoMoCo ones, take them apart, switch rod out, install some caps and reinstall.

The fronts that I replaced - the passenger door is back to lock mechanism sticking/jamming. I'll have to play with that later. 6 hours til I leave for Michigan!!!
            -Nick M.
            Columbia, SC

Comment

Originally posted by TecNickal View Post
              I took an old one apart and now I see what's going on. Someone mentioned in another thread how you can pop off the cap at the end, then remove the 3 ball bearings, and switch out the rod.

So am going to get a couple of FoMoCo ones, take them apart, switch rod out, install some caps and reinstall.

The fronts that I replaced - the passenger door is back to lock mechanism sticking/jamming. I'll have to play with that later. 6 hours til I leave for Michigan!!!
              Alright Michigan! Where in Michigan will you be visiting?

I knew my dad had swapped those rods, I just had no clue how it would be done since I've never attempted it.
              Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

I just get the OEM's as they tend to last longer and you don't have to do some "un-natural acts" to get them to fit! Have seen them for about $50 each on EBAY (OEM's). Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
                  I just get the OEM's as they tend to last longer and you don't have to do some "un-natural acts" to get them to fit! Have seen them for about $50 each on EBAY (OEM's). Bobby
                  miamibob - do you have the name of a seller you use to buy OEM actuators? I'd like to buy OEM then swap the lockrods over. Thought I recall you mentioning one that did it for $50 a pop.
                  -Nick M.
                  Columbia, SC

Comment

CAM Auto Parts Warehouse. They are out of Deerfield Beach, Florida (Capautoparts1 is their EBAY ID). Bobby

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-CROWN-V...item23102aab86

Hope this helps.......

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

Thank you sir - 2 replacements have been ordered!
                      -Nick M.
                      Columbia, SC

Comment

Let us know how you make out.

Comment

I forgot to follow up - those replacements worked GREAT. Thanks again for the suggestion.
                          -Nick M.
                          Columbia, SC

Comment

Originally posted by TecNickal View Post
                            I forgot to follow up - those replacements worked GREAT. Thanks again for the suggestion.
                            Glad it worked out! I have purchased from them and never had an issue!!

Comment

Working...
                            X