I do not know what I need???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do not know what I need???

You guys are the best for helping the dummies of the auto world (dat be me).
    Ok, I need some kind of valve to do the following and do not know what it would be called.

Assume a 3/8 gas vent hose that is attached to a gas tank. Now assume that hose loops up into the rear Q sail panel and then drops down to exit under the rear pass side rear.

Now if I want to allow gas fumes to vent to the outside, but restrict any fuel from entering the hose.............what kind of in line valve am I looking for???

First, what are you trying to accomplish?

The Evap system in the car is supposed to take care of that with the charcoal canister. The vent on the tank goes to the canister which feeds the evap solenoid that controls flow of vapors to the intake. Older cars that didn't purge to the intake, just purged through a filter to open air at that point. even older cars, you just smelled gas all the time.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I would suggest you retain the stock evap system rather than just vent fumes to atmosphere. Not because I'm some sort of enviro nazi, but because its by far the easiest way to keep outside crap from getting in the fuel tank. That, and it makes the garage stink if you park it inside. I had a car that I removed the stock evap system from because it was a bunch of broken bullshit. My magic solution was just a tube that exited the body and directed fumes under the car instead of going through the original plastic seperator thing in the trunk that was cracked and just pumping gas fumes inside the car every time I filled up. THe outside vent stopped gas smells inside the car, but it still smelled if you were outside of the car.
      Last edited by gadget73; 06-29-2013, 11:21 PM.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Sly, yes you are correct!......and I should have said that the car in question is an old Studebaker the vent hose in the car is 50 yrs old, and some yrs ago I went through the gas system and changed everything, except the vent hose! The car is getting difficult to drive due to the gas fumes and I have to take apart the rear seat to get to the gas tank and see how the filler neck hose is...I changed it about ten years ago. At the time I removed the tank and had a radiator shop boil out the tank and braze the baffle spot welds with copper pennies........works like a charm. But back to the question is there a valve that can do what I want??
        Originally posted by slymer View Post
        First, what are you trying to accomplish?

The Evap system in the car is supposed to take care of that with the charcoal canister. The vent on the tank goes to the canister which feeds the evap solenoid that controls flow of vapors to the intake. Older cars that didn't purge to the intake, just purged through a filter to open air at that point. even older cars, you just smelled gas all the time.

Comment

If you are venting an open system, run your line with an inline fuel filter in it somewhere easy to get to. Keeps crap out and lets the tank breathe.

Alex.

Comment

GM, once the seat and panel go back it will not be easy to get to! Also if I run a new line it will not be able to go up into the q-panel sail area like it is now, that is why I need some kind of one way vent valve..........fumes will pass liquid fuel will not.
            Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
            If you are venting an open system, run your line with an inline fuel filter in it somewhere easy to get to. Keeps crap out and lets the tank breathe.

Alex.

Comment

Which Stude and year? Having a check valve in the vent isn't the norm, and I don't expect Studebaker put one in either. A vent needs to vent both ways, if it can't, your fuel tank could suck itself in/or balloon. (for those unaware, studebaker used a non-vented gas cap on some models hence the vent tube). The loop in your hose into the sail panel will take care of any fuel that might get into the hose by draining back into the tank via gravity.

If you want, put the inline fuel filter at the end of the hose merely to keep junk out of the line. The hose does not terminate IN the sail panel, it has to exit somewhere "outside" the interior area.

[just re-read the thread]
              What problem are you trying to solve? I'm guessing you are smelling fuel. You don't want to replace the vent line (not impossible, just difficult). And figure a check valve will solve your fuel odor problem. If you are smelling fuel, you have a cracked vent hose. And depending on what stude, bad grommet or two to seal the body/hose (ie: lark where the vent hose loops into the trunk and uses a grommet to seal the trunk floor).
              Fuel odor in general you will not get rid of. It is an OPEN system. Fuel smell inside the car, thats a bad vent system. Fix what is there the way studebaker designed it. it works.

Alex.
              Last edited by GM_Guy; 07-01-2013, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X