Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

89 GM gauge cluster and gears question

Hi,

My fuel gauge has been defunct for some time. I am getting another cluster. I hope the gauge works. Never having taken these apart I have some questions.

1) Is it fairly easy and straightforward to change the indicated miles? I would like to set the "new" odo to the mileage of the original.

2) I found various discussions about drive gears but they talked about 90 & up. Should I change the 89 gears? Any source?

3) Is the rear end gear ratio relevant? If the "new" unit had a different rear ratio is there any change necessary in the cluster?

4) The new unit has a broken shifter clamp. If I can get mine out without breaking it, can I swap it in?

5) Should I install LEDS or just new incandescent bulbs? If so which ones? They will dim?

6) I guess the various gears are greased. Regular synthetic axle grease or silicone grease or ?

7) What else should I know, consider or expect to deal with?

Thanks,
    Jay
    Last edited by jaywish; 07-03-2013, 08:37 PM.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

the easier way to do it would be to just swap the fuel gauge part into your cluster if your speedo/odo are correct. Otherwise it is do-able. Its not that hard, but its kind of a pain. If you pull the whole thing apart, you can push the pin out of the odometer that holds the gears that drive the number wheels. Once those are out, you can roll the odometer where you want it. The really fun part is putting the drive wheels back in and keeping the numbers lined up. If the numbers are half off, they will not correct. You have to pull the gears back out and re-position the digits.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks for posting up on this.

I think I might just swap the whole thing anyway. If I do swap the cluster, anything to consider like any of my questions?

Thanks
      Jay
      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

the 89 gears are probably fine, but if you can find a source for new ones, you may want to consider doing it just for S&G

rear ratio is not relevant. Its all determined by the gear in the transmission.

The shifter indicator cable can be replaced. Its basically one screw once you remove the faceplate, not that big of a deal. I'd suggest a brand new one if possible. Chances are very high your original will break if you try to remove it.

LEDs dim. The 5 way ones seem to work best. For more color options and more light, remove the blue plastic domes inside the cluster to un-block the bulbs. Honestly I'm considering going back to stock lights though. The blue LEDs are getting on my nerves and most of the other colors are just too bright and obnoxious for me. The stock lights are boring, but not obnoxious on a long trip.

No idea on the gears. Probably silicone or lithium grease would work fine though.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Cool I appreciate the input on the LEDs. I think I will just replace all the bulbs with new. Interesting, I did not even think to try and find a new shift indicator cable, from ford?
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

yeah, if they aren't all gone by now. Worth asking though.

Comment

Working...
            X