Which blower motor should I get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which blower motor should I get?

The blower motor on my car hasn't worked for the last few days at any speed. I followed my electrical book and determined that the blower motor itself is defective and needs to be replaced. I've looked on Rockauto and noticed that the blower motors are all different: some have the wheel and some don't, and some of them say that they have a special electrical connector. What part have you guys bought as a replacement?

Also related to that, I'll need a new connector because mine was all frayed and melted. Since I am getting the blower motor new I'll probably only need the other side of the connector. If I am unlucky finding one at a junkyard, does anyone have one in reasonable shape that they would be willing to part with?

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
    2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
    2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Right now I might buy this one: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...598&cc=1188693 ($25.99)

there is also a Motorcraft unit, but it's $39.89, and seems to require a $40 connector/adapter. The TYC unit has a lifetime warranty, so is it worth buying?

Comment

Sounds like a fair deal if you don't need the adapter. Lifetime warranty should count for something.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Is it just me, or was the adapter for the original motor an oval shape? The pictures for this one looks different:

Click image for larger version

Name:	getimage.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	1272711

Comment

I had to get the pigtail too for mine since it melted on me, but it was different than the stock one anyhow (on my 88 at least).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Where did you buy the pigtail from? I can't seem to find any reasonably-priced ones online.

Comment

If you are lucky it is just a bad connection under the hood. Happens to me from time to time.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I got the pigtail from rockauto. yeah... it's not cheap. Highly annoying.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

No way am I paying $40 for a new pigtail. The product advertises an "OE-exact connector" but the blower motor is compatible with multiple Ford vehicles. I might just check the junkyard and see if there are any Fords with the same connector.

Comment

you also might have to swap the wires in your own pigtail to make it work. I remember having to do that with mine as I wired it up to match my old harness and then had to switch the wires in the harness since the blower was spinning backwards. IIRC, both harnesses will fit, but the newer one is the press down to remove type while the old one is the lift over type.

Comment

I found out today at the junkyard that the connector from '95-'97 Panthers will fit the new blower motor. I did notice that the wires on the '95-'97 cars are a little beefier than on the '89. They're probably only one size bigger at most. How should I go about swapping them? Will I have to swap over all of the blower motor wiring?

Comment

I was thinking using step-down crimp connectors, but I was wondering if there would be any benefit to swapping in as much of the larger wire as I can.

Comment

You'd get more by running it on a relay off the battery to take the load out of the stock wiring. 86vickylx has a writeup on here somewhere about how to make that work.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

swapping the wires... meaning polarity... + and - wires to the motor. The newer harness is backwards from the older one. So if wiring in the harness from a newer car, just solder them in reverse. (stripe to solid)
                            Maybe wire-nut it first to make sure and then solder it.

Comment

I found the diagrams for the relay mod, and I think I might as well go with that. Does the relay have any sort of connection to the thermal blower lockout switch?

Comment

Working...
                              X