Power Seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power Seats

So my power seats have never worked...fuse is good, connector is plugged in... without tearing it apart to have a proper look, I'm stumped, so if anybody has any advice going in it would be much appreciated. PS. I used the search and didn't come up with anything, if I missed it, don't hate just point me in the right direction.

Do you have a test light or multimeter? Can't remember exactly what the back of the switch looks like but you should be able to get in there and check for power in and ground with a multimeter of continuity checker. If you have those it is probably the motors or mechanical/track failure.

Since both seats do not work I would guess no power or ground to the seats. On those cars I believe there are at least two electrical plugs going to the seats. One for the PS and the other for a seat belt warning buzzer.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

+1 check for power. Also, check that the wires are not broken on the seat harnesses. I had that issue with the passenger seat in the vic. soldered the connector pin back together and put it back in the harness and it worked like a champ. That was a PITA though since I had to pull the seat out of the car.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The seat belt warning works...I'm definitely gonna take a closer look at the harnesses and ill break out the test light. Thanks for the insight.

Comment

I'd had experiences with power seat assemblies in older (late '70s) Fords where the field magnets glued to the inside of the motor housing separated and were clung right to the armature. I started by checking power to the switch and at the motor connector, and everything checked out. Sometimes the motors would "twitch" when I tried to move the seats, or I may have got a couple turns out of them before I realized what had happened (the armature was trying to turn while scraping against the magnets). I took apart the motors, reglued the magnets with gel CA glue (superglue), put everything back together (the brushes are a PITA) and the motors work like new. These motors don't spend enough time in operation to wear out the brushes, so I didn't bother replacing them.

This was the style of seat motor with the three drives (front tilt, rear tilt, back/forth) contained within the single housing, from Lincoln Mark IV/V's and the big Thunderbirds. I've never had a box Panther power seat apart so I'm not sure how they differ, but even if the motors were separate I'm sure this could happen to them as well.
          Last edited by RyPow; 07-10-2013, 04:18 PM. Reason: model of older vehicle
          RyPow
          1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX sedan - The "Sand Box" - 73K, towing package
          1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX Tutone Tudor - '96 Explorer 5.0 + 5spd swap in the works
          1985 Lincoln Town Car Cartier - previously owned by "navguy12" from thelincolnforum.net
          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited, 102k, daily driver
          2006 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, 115k, winter beats
          1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car, 42k
          2012 F-150 5.0L 4x4, HD payload pkg (towing/hauling)
          2015 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD (better half's)

Comment

Working...
          X