NO high beams!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NO high beams!!!!!

I was driving late home Monday Tuesday night and I wanted to turn on my high beams, but they wouldn't stay on!!!

The flash to pass high beams work but that's about it.

I own a 1989 Lincoln town car signature series and I believe it has that autolamp thing

Any idea if I am doing something wrong?
    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
    -2011 Subaru Outback

Originally posted by porschpow View Post
    I was driving late home Monday Tuesday night and I wanted to turn on my high beams, but they wouldn't stay on!!!

The flash to pass high beams work but that's about it.

I own a 1989 Lincoln town car signature series and I believe it has that autolamp thing

Any idea if I am doing something wrong?
    Do you have autodim? It's possible the knob may have been turned a bit for sensativity. Or the eye that's on the rearview mirror is bad.

Comment

Hope you do not mind if I check the basics. IIRC it is pull the stick towards you to to flash and push stick away to turn them on. What happens when you push it away. Does it stay in the away position?
      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

On 89 down boxes the high beams work by pulling the stalk back to engage and repeating to turn off high beams. The "push forward" feature didn't come until 90 with the new dash.

I'm thinking (like 86vicky) either the auto dimmer is set too close or the sensor is shot. There are instructions around here for what wires to jump on the sensor to bypass it.
        2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
        2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
        Past Panthers
        1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
        if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Turning autodim all the way to min (or off if it has the detente) should solve the issue. I need to check the issue with my Mark as well. I haven't tried the brights at night since getting the autolamps working.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

unplug the sensor and plug it back in. If the connection is flaky, the highs will not work. If that doesn't work, jumper the two outer wires together to see if that makes it work. If it does, the sensor has died.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I see I never thought of looking at the rear view mirror to mess with the sensor. I will do that

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
              -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

I was sick the past few days, so I will be playing with this on the way home today...btw, what the heck does that eye do? why are there adj knobs/auto/off switch below the rear view mirror???

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

The eye is the auto dim sensor. It detects oncoming lights and kicks the brights out. Its in the circuit even if the knob is rolled to off though. There is no bypass, it just reduces the sensitivity to the point that it doesn't operate, unless of course the sensor has failed and is preventing the high beam relay from engaging.

The controls on the mirror are the auto-dim mirror. The on/off switch is self-explanitory. The knob adjusts sensitivity. The idea is that it tilts downward to dim the reflection of lights in your rear window. The glass actually moves internally with a motor and a little belt. Most of the time these don't work anymore because the belt failed. If you open it up and replace the belt, it usually works again. Cheaper models had a flip lever to tilt the mirror, but you have the fancy options.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

that's awesome, do you have to take apart the mirror to do this,

oh btw, after playing with the knob on the mirrors and the adj on the headlight switch, my high beams work again!

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                    -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

yes, the mirror has to be taken apart to replace the belt. I think its just a few screws on the back side to seperate the halves. I've been inside one of those things once, and thats been years. memory is quite hazy on that detail.

Comment

Yeah, I need to fix this cuse having flash to pass only doesn not cut the cheese, So either (the eye is bad or the belt slipped off. Are both these things in the black box in front of the mirror???

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                        -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

I would also consider checking out the multifunction switch on the steering column as well. When I had my Aerostar the switch in it was doing this and I couldn't hear a click when trying to turn on highs. But since you have autodim then I'm sure that is a more probable cause.
                          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

yeah, i hear a click when I snap back on the stalk, I guess it has somethign to do with the eye or the belt or something???

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                            -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

I had my high's on. and there was a car 50-60 yds ahead of me.and my highs automatixally kicked off. Mow, it can't go back on. the settings on the mirror was 5-6 and on the headlight switch was on min.

and any idea what the heck that was about

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                              -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Working...
                              X