Air Bag light comes on at random

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air Bag light comes on at random

I've noticed it a few times now that my instrument panel lights up with an "AirBag" warning. Sometimes it stays light, sometimes it blinks but after I park it and start it back up when I get out of work or out of the store or whatnot it's no longer there. It's only happened like 4 maybe five times in the last three weeks and my owners manual doesn't say anything about it. What does it mean? That the airbag has gone to shit I'm guessing?

when it blinks... count the blinks. That will let you know the code for the issue. It's probably the safing sensor and needs to have the contacts cleaned.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

When it blinks it just keeps blinking

Comment

The codes repeat themselves. There is a pause between them so time it to see and count the blinks. Should be tw codes like "55", etc...That would be the capacitors leaking and giving the error code. Let us know....Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

It did it again just yesterday on my way home from work. Six blinks. As long as the airbag isn't about to blow up in my face I'm not too worried about it for now.

Comment

2 - All Primary Crash Sensors Disconnected.
            3 - Air Bag Deployment Circuit - Low Battery Voltage or Low Backup Power Supply Voltage
            4 - Safing Sensor - Diagnostic Circuit Open or Low Primary Crash Sensor Resistance
            5 - Air Bag Circuit or Crash Sensor Circuit - Shorted to Ground
            6 - Driver-Side Air Bag Circuit - Open or High Resistance
            7 - Passenger-Side Air Bag Circuit - Open or High Resistance
            8 - Primary Crash Sensor - Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly
            9 - Primary Crash Sensor Circuit - Open or High Resistance
            10 - Diagnostic Monitor Internal Thermal Fuse - Open Due to Intermittent Short to Ground

Found the list of codes Pantera posted a few years back... looks like you have a loose wire in the column or steering wheel or clock spring issue.

It shouldn't pop you at random, btw.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Yeah, any problem at all with the airbag and the system tends to disable itself.
              Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Well that's good to know lol. I wouldn't be surprised if it was something in the steering column, I was kind of rough with everything when taking apart my dash to replace my heater core. I'll be fuckin around with the dash again at some point and when I do I'll have to see if I can't find anything.

Thanks guys.

Comment

I had an airbag problem once.....then I got a divorce........

Comment

*rimshot*

Comment

Working...
                    X