air pump into vacuum pump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

air pump into vacuum pump?

Is it possible to convert an air pump into a vacuum pump and use it to run the HVAC ?
    I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying - Oscar Wilde

not really. The air inlet is behind the pulley. You'd need to be able to seal that up and connect something to it. I suspect it wouldn't make enough vacuum to be useful. The engine makes more than enough vacuum to deal with the HVAC on it's own, provided there aren't any vacuum leaks.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It's vacuum leaks of the HVAC is what I'm trying to isolate the engine from any ideas on what I can use as a secondary vacuum pump?
      I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying - Oscar Wilde

Comment

search for 12v brake booster vacuum pump. I used one of those to get my 88 to overcome whatever leak that system has. blows cold now no matter the engine load.

check out this post in my RR thread: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post697256

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I'd suggest making every effort to fix the leaks first, but a vac pump can help if its just unfixable. at this point in time they are not airtight but nothing will overcome stuff like a rotted out soup can or bad rubber lines.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

my leak is so damn small I cant find it... but it's big enough to bleed out in about 2 minutes... so highway driving over 55mph sucks without the pump.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

At that point you leave it be, but if its losing all its vacuum in a few seconds, it needs fixing. I suspect as these continue to age, we're going to have problems within the slider assembly and that I don't think is going to be fixable.

Comment

What about using a vacuum pump from a 7.3 powerstroke it is able to pull 17-20in of vacuum and they used it for the HVAC and brake booster

Comment

if it's electric... probably as easy as the one I have installed... if it's belt driven... good luck.

Comment

Would 17 in hg be enough to run the HVAC ?

Comment

Yes, because that's the vacuum my engine makes and it works just fine
                      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Working...
                      X