Wiper motor problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiper motor problem

On a 1986 Ford Country Squire I'm getting, there is a wiper problem. It has the three-speed delay wiper. When turned ON, the wipers work great. Problem is, they will not turn off UNLESS you turn the engine off when the wipers are at their lowest point, turn the wiper switch OFF, then restart the car. THEN, the wipers stay down, but don't fully park.

Ideas?
    Attached Files
    1986 Ford Country Squire LX 8-pass wagon 5.0L AOD

the contact that triggers the park procedure is probably worn out. It can probably be rebuilt, but it may be easier and better to replace the wiper motor as there's no telling how badly worn out the rest of the motor is.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I just rewired the wipers on my 85 and had the same exact problem. There's a little bump on the wiper motor that could be cleaned like sly said.

Also I figured out that my switch is starting to go out too. If I carefully wiggled the stalk then they would stop like they are supposed to.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

Working...
      X