What happened to my radio ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happened to my radio ??

I have the original radio/cassette in my 89 TC. It has always worked perfectly. The other day I turned on the radio and I heard this high pitched screech. Non of the stations came in clear. On the high end of the tuner, just the screech. Is this a ground problem, amp or radio head? Don't want to tear into it unless I know the right place to look.

if the screech is there whether the engine is running or not, it's the radio. If it's only there with the engine running, the noise filter (capacitor) on the coil is dead.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
      I have the original radio/cassette in my 89 TC. It has always worked perfectly. The other day I turned on the radio and I heard this high pitched screech. Non of the stations came in clear. On the high end of the tuner, just the screech. Is this a ground problem, amp or radio head? Don't want to tear into it unless I know the right place to look.
      If it is the radio I have one for sale (EBAY) that would probably fit.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Well I just checked out the radio while car was not running. Still screeching. I guess I will go through my spare parts, I think I have a couple of spares.
        I wish it could be fixed, it has been a good radio all these years.

Comment

Theres a guy who fixes those. Paul Protos.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah he also does tripminders! Let me know if you have an interest in an OEM stereo and I can post the link! Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

yeah he did the tripminder and the over head console in my Mark VII as well. He did the CD player too, but the tuner in that thing is just possessed. The ipod input he added to it works just fine though. I opened it up once, lots of really tiny crap in there. Beyond my ambition to fool with at any rate.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I open those and if it's obviously a puffy cap or burnt resistor... I'll fix it... but if it's any worse than that or nothing obvious... meh... file 13.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The radio has been recapped, which is whats annoying. 90% sure the FM problem is in the multiplexer board, or at least between the output of the detector and the audio amp, which is where the MPX unit happens to live. Scan works fine, but the audio is either gone or very muffled. AM works fine. Probably something fixable if I feel motivated enough to sit down and fight with it, but frankly I do not. The display irks me. Totally dead, so I'm guessing its the main voltage supply to the display but I'm sure thats buried in there too. I dislike working on compact solid state electronics. They're packed too damn tight.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    Theres a guy who fixes those. Paul Protos.
                    What is his GMN site name ?

Comment

don't think he's on here. try polyscroll @ hotmail for his email.

Comment

Working...
                      X