CFI bogging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CFI bogging

I've got a small problem with the GM. First off, she starts up no problem wether its hot or cold. The problem I'm having is that when accelerating, wether it be from a stop or while rolling at speed, it seems to bog when the gas is pressed halfway or more. If I take off from a stop easily or just accelerate around a corner or a slight hill it's fine. But if I floor it from a stop or to downshift to 2nd or 1st it bogs.

The vacuum lines look ok and fuel flow seems ok. I put in a new fuel filter back in July. No problems starting up at all. She did stall on me twice yesterday and tonight once, as I pulled into the gas station. And after both instances yesterday she fired up no problem as well as tonight after I put gas in her. Is any of this choke related?

'93 T-bird
    '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
    '88 Mark VII
    '86 CV

EGR valve clogged or TPS acting up probably.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks. I'll check those 2 out this weekend.

'93 T-bird
      '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
      '88 Mark VII
      '86 CV

Comment

ever checked the fuel pressure? Might be the pump is getting weak. Something else to check are the connectors on the two relays in that little cover on the driver's side fender. Unplug both relays and make sure the connections are clean and that the connectors don't crumble or have burned up wires. One of those is the fuel pump relay, and having crappy connections will make the pump act half dead. Have you gone through it and replaced all of the vacuum lines? If not, do that. They get really crabby about this. I have also seen bad TFI and pickups cause run problems on CFI cars that didn't really seem symptomatic of ignition problems.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I agree with gadget about the fuel pressure needing to be checked, the car is 30 years old....also check for rust in the gas tank , it may be clogging the fuel pump, fuel filter etc.....

Comment

Tank is clean. Made sure of that before I put it in. It's possible that the pump is weak since it came from the yard with the tank. I'll do a pressure test on it.

'93 T-bird
            '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
            '88 Mark VII
            '86 CV

Comment

you might have to check it under load. Use a tester with a long hose so you can lay it on the windshield and do whatever it is that makes it bog. If the pressure drops down, thats the issue. Might be as simple as a pinched fuel line above the tank if you've had it out. That plastic stuff isn't really flexible, and it will kink fairly easily.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I dont think I pinched any lines putting the tank in but it's possible. When I get time I'll check the fuel pressure. The only time this week I had to play was friday cause I took off of work to see weird al. And I used that time to put in my tripminder. The rest of the time I've been working on refinishing my attic.

Would the shop manual tell me what pressure I should see under a load?

'93 T-bird
                '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
                '88 Mark VII
                '86 CV

Comment

Should be 35-45 psi if I remember right but CFI might be slightly higher or lower. It actually should be the same as at idle speed. If it drops off, something is wrong. If its below about 30 at idle, I'd suspect something is fishy there too, but confirm the number in the shop manual.

Comment

So I haven't done any checks yet due to work and my house. But after driving around for a while in the car I've come to realize it's not bogging like I first said. I'm just not used to driving a CFI. My last toy was an '88 Mark VII. So going from an H.O. EFI so a CFI was a huge difference for me. I just wasn't used to it.

I still have yet to check the TPS and clean the EGR for the occasional stalling I get. So far it has been stalling once within a couple miles from home taking off from a stop but, fires right back up.

Hopefully I can get some time during the week after I fix my truck.

'93 T-bird
                    '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
                    '88 Mark VII
                    '86 CV

Comment

Sorry but I lol'd, CFI is pretty gutless

Pete
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                      1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                      1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

it very much is a gutless wonder. Easy on fuel if its running right and has a very smooth idle, but thats really the only redeeming feature.

Comment

Yea compared to everything else I've driven, it's got as much power as the '84 Delta 88 I once had. Thinking bout either going EFI or carb. But not totally sure yet. I may not decide till spring.

'93 T-bird
                          '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
                          '88 Mark VII
                          '86 CV

Comment

Working...
                          X