Auto parking brake release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto parking brake release

The original window sticker for my Country Squire has the auto-release parking brake listed as equipped but I've not been able to get it to work and thought it might not actually be there. Today while under the dash I saw that the parts are there which makes me believe that the mechanism just doesn't work anymore.
    I am looking for a part number or place to get a replacement.
    1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

I don't have a part number but I can tell ya they are hard to find, working ones anyway. I have tried about 5 or 6 of the from yards I pulled and none of them worked. They tend to hiss when they're bad too. Also if you don't see a manual release lever clearly marked then you should be equipped. If you have auto release and it just doesn't work, then the manual release lever is tucked away and is a b**** to try to find sometimes.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

the valve probably failed, and/or was disconnected. Usually they leak so people plug the line rather than listen to it hiss and eat fuel economy.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

the horse shoe shaped valve might still available at parts places. The actuator is a dealer part and I got the last one 3 years ago and it died in 6 months.

rock auto has 2 options:
        http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...071&cc=1199471
        and
        http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...076&cc=1199471

you can test the actuator by putting vacuum to it and see if it'll release the parking brake. If not, just plug the line from the firewall and forget about it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          the valve probably failed, and/or was disconnected. Usually they leak so people plug the line rather than listen to it hiss and eat fuel economy.
          The leaking vacuum line damages fuel economy? By how much? Better go plug it then.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
          2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
          2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

My actuator actually got a rust hole in it and failed...found a nice junkyard one and it's worked well since. But the horseshoe switch can fail as well, best to get a hand vacuum pump and test the whole system piece by piece
            -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by L1011tristar17 View Post
              The leaking vacuum line damages fuel economy? By how much? Better go plug it then.
              depends how bad the leak is, but any vacuum leak can mess with the fuel mix. The fuel metering system in these is entirely vacuum dependent, and anything that throws that off can have some effect. Its a small line and wouldn't do too much, but its definitely not going to help things any.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by L1011tristar17 View Post
                depends how bad the leak is, but any vacuum leak can mess with the fuel mix. The fuel metering system in these is entirely vacuum dependent, and anything that throws that off can have some effect. Its a small line and wouldn't do too much, but its definitely not going to help things any.

Comment

As usual, SLY and Gadget are all over this issue. These devices are a "weak link" in owning a Panther car. 100% of these leak at some time or another. Usually the vacuum lines break first and then the horseshoe shaped device on the steering column goes next. This is an odd dimension hard plastic line from the firewall to the shifter device on the column. Anyone found a good source for the plastic tubing??

Comment

I replace it with small rubber hose. The plastic stuff is too much of a pain to work with if its not pre-molded into the various shapes.

Comment

sorry to hi-jack but I am curious. there are clearly two parts that need to be replaced to fix this. One is a horseshow thing that goes over the steering column that you can buy at aparts store. What is the other part (and where in the car) that is hard to get??
                      "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
                      -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                      -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
                      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

The other part is a vacuum controlled release actuator..it's under the dash connected to the parking brake lever, behind it that is. Might be able to find a NOS one on ebay eventually…or grab a bunch from the junkyard. When i'm there next I'll probably grab 1 or 2
                        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

I wen tto the junkyard yesterday to take off the crescent valve and the cylindrical actuater things behind the parking brake release. Hopefully I did good! How do you test to see what i have in my car works good, whether it is a bad actuator or valve
                          "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
                          -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                          -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
                          -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

I did some more investigating and found a wire disconnected, it turns on the parking brake light in the cluster.
                            The light is on no matter whether the brake is on or off, is that indicative of anything?
                            1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

if the light is always on with that wire plugged in, the parking brake switch is bad.

porschpow: a hand vacuum pump works wonders for testing vacuum related parts.
                              I have this one: http://www.sears.com/mityvac-automot...a=00947058000P

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X