No announcement yet.

Red LEDs in my instrument cluster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried taping it down so it's tight and solid and I lubed the gears with lithium grease and it is still clicking just as loud as before. The miles ARE moving on the odometer so I don't think it's very likely that the gears are jumping...

Comment

I even tried switching out the odometer motor and it still clicks so it HAS to be the gears themselves making the noise. This is very disappointing. I should probably start another thread.

But anyway, everything else is fine, the climate control and the clock are both red now but it'll be a while before I get an aftermarket stereo with red lights though. I'll post pics soon. I did have a hell of a time with the climate control though because my junkyard one came from an aero GMQ and you know the hook where the temperature lever pulls the cable, well this one didn't have that hook. So I had to take it all back apart to put the hook on it then it was good to go.

Comment

I see now.
        There's a tiny little ridge going down the length of the smaller gear that catches the teeth of the bigger gear when it glides past producing the click, I can't even see it but I can barely feel it when the gears catch. I sanded it down the best I could and it's much quieter now but you can still faintly hear it.

So, if anyone else has a ticking/clicking noise coming from their new odometer gears, remember this and sand that bitch down smooth.

Comment

Stealthlead had that same clicking problem with his 91 MGM in another thread. I'm not sure if he got to the bottom of it though.

The replacement gears that I got have never had this clicking problem. I got mine on Ebay from onlinewholesaleparts, but if you got them from the same place there is always the chance that they have changed their manufacturing process or their supplier since I got mine
          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I know this thread is a little old, but did you ever figure out what the clicking sound was?
            I have an idea of what it might be, but I'm not certain.
            It might be the alignment of the worm gear.

After you and stealthlead mentioned it I noticed very faintly a slight clicking, almost too quiet for me to hear it.
            I picked up a police cluster a while back and swapped my good gears into the police cluster. I found that the stock worm gear on odometer was not pushed all the way down. being pushed all the way down makes the driven gear line up toward the top of the worm gear and when the work gear turns to the to the right position the tooth of the driven gear may be hitting that last worm gear spiral where it ends and creating the clicking.

Since I swapped clusters and made sure to leave about a millimeter (or whatever the thickness of a small flat screwdriver head is) of space between the worm gear and the motor I haven't noticed any clicking and the driven gear seems to be lined up in the center of the worm gear now.

If you still have the clicking try backing the worm gear off a little and see if that fixes it.
            Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
            ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
            ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

fantastic job with that polish remover. i myself am working at getting a complete blue interior. and the heater controls are the last thing. lookin like the same process for me if i want a pure blue and not blue green. great tips in this thread. much help
              Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
              Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
              Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

Working...
              X