Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VERY FAST IDLE .........Ambient air temperature sensor? What is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VERY FAST IDLE .........Ambient air temperature sensor? What is it?

Hi,
    Is there suppose to be an ambient air temperature sensor in front of the AC condenser/radiator under the header panel in a 1991Grand Marquis. I found a connector, but no sensor is attached. What does the AATS do?

I am trying to track down a fast idle that is continuous. The idle adjustment screw is broke and it does not touch the throttle lever. The car idles very fast. I don't have to have my foot on the gas and it will cruise up to 30-40mph without giving any gas.

Thanks again,
    Mike
    90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
    90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
    91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
    70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

That sensor is only on cars with automatic climate control. Doesn't interface with the engine computer.

Replace that stop screw and get it back to spec. I'll dig up a link on how to readjust the screw back to factory settings and once you get the screw in we'll get everything set up. I've just been thru all of this on a 93 truck with a 302 so it's all fresh in my head
    Originally posted by gadget73
    There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
    91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
    93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
    Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
    Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
    95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

AATS is under the dash pad inside the cab. Look for broken vacuum lines and listen to see if there's a lot of hissing at the brake booster. If that's totally blown (rust hole), the engine will suck a LOT of air in through that and make it idle high. Also, if the throttle screw is broken, you'll need to fix that or when you do solve the fast idle, the car may not idle well at all and stall out easy.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

There's an air charge sensor or intake air temp sensor which I think on a 91 is on the cylinder 5 intake runner, but regardless that is not your issue. An idle that high is probably a serious vac leak or because of that idle screw like they already said. Or throttle cable binding up holding the throttle open.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

could also be the cruise server acting up and holding the throttle open, or the cruise cable out of adjustment.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Would a stuck EGR valve cause fast idle? Mine ides a bit high after highway driving for a few minutes, then settles back to normal. Also, I had a Throttle Position sensor go wonky on me one time, causing the idle to be really high.
            Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
            Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

nope... stuck open EGR causes stalling.

Comment

A faulty TPS can do this, so can a massive vacuum leak or a stuck IAC. Check the voltage on the TPS. If its more than 1.1v, thats your problem. Expect a code about it too.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                X