"Reclocking" 100 amp alternator...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Reclocking" 100 amp alternator...

OK, my alternator went out tonight... (Bearings, go figure!) I have two lifetime guarantee alternators from Advance Auto parts, so I can swap one if the alternator goes out, then take it back for a new one, and put the new one in the trunk for a spare... So I get out my brand new rebuilt alternator that I keep for an extra... and the last time I swapped it out, Advance gave me the wrong fricken alternator... it is at the 3:00 position, and I need it at 9:00... How hard is it to re-clock the alternator? Of course my local store doesn't have one, but they can get it for me tomorrow morning at 10:00 AM... (They don't know it yet, but they are bringing out the new ones to me at the Firehouse, where my car is presently torn down... Since this is THEIR screw up!) I watched a guy do it once at the alternator shop, but that was a long time ago, and I wasn't really paying attention... I THINK it is just a matter of taking out the four case screws, and turning the housing to the correct position, and putting the screws back in, right? And as long as you don't lift the case, (Separating the two halves) it should work, right? Thanks for any help....

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
    Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Not particularly hard.

http://thelincolnmarkviiclub.org/doc...atorRepair.pdf

This shows how to rebuild it, but all you really need is the dissassemble and re-assemble parts of it. Just rotate the back case to the positon needed and bolt it up. You'll need a nail or similar sort of thing to hold the brushes in position for re-assembly.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Good read, but didn't really answer my question if you can take the four bolts out, and just turn the back of the case... To re-clock it... Oh well, stuck at the Firehouse tonight until Advance delivers my new one in the morning... I figured if I could turn the case to the right clock position, I could do that, and install it on the car... and go home!

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…

Comment

Decided to re-install the old alternator, just didn't tighten the belt as tight, so it would take the strain off of the bearing that is going bad... and drive home tonight... and to advance in the morning... And change it out in the parking lot real quick... I can change one in about 20 minutes... no problem!!

Comment

Originally posted by trwp72 View Post
          Good read, but didn't really answer my question if you can take the four bolts out, and just turn the back of the case... To re-clock it... Oh well, stuck at the Firehouse tonight until Advance delivers my new one in the morning... I figured if I could turn the case to the right clock position, I could do that, and install it on the car... and go home!
          Yes take the 4 bolts out and clock the alternator where you need it. The only problem is getting the brushes back far enough for the armature to go into the back. Just need to use paperclips and stick them through the holes on the back of the case. When I did it on my Mark VII, I used the above link. Actually says it on the 4th and 5th page. Doesn't actually say you can clock it, but how to take apart and put back together.

'93 T-bird
          '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
          '88 Mark VII
          '86 CV

Comment

you may not need to jack with the brushes if you don't completely separate the case. Just get it enough to rotate and then lock back together where needed. Shouldn't even need to take the pulley off. This is the way I did one of the 3G swaps I dealt with (reclocking the 3G).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
              you may not need to jack with the brushes if you don't completely separate the case. Just get it enough to rotate and then lock back together where needed. Shouldn't even need to take the pulley off. This is the way I did one of the 3G swaps I dealt with (reclocking the 3G).
              When I did it to the Mark, I tried to rotate it without seperating it completely. But it didnt work. Maybe it's different on a 3g.

'93 T-bird
              '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
              '88 Mark VII
              '86 CV

Comment

Well, I finnally put the old one back on the car, and limped it down to the auto parts store... it ended up locking up completely when I shut the car off! So I got the replacement for the one that was wrong, and another one for the one that was bad... For free... So I got the new one installed, and the extra one back on the trunk, and they are both the correct one this time!!! Thanks for all of the comments.. if I can find a 100 amp one in the junk yard for cheap, (I have a friend that owns a junk yard) I may buy it just to experiment with, and see what it takes to re-clock one, just in case anyone needs to do it....

Comment

I have a 60A 1G sitting in my garage. Is the 100A physically different? I can experiment on mine as I'll probably never use that one again.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The 100 amp is bigger, but I don't know much beyond that. I think its basically the same method of assembly, just with a smaller case.

yes, you unbolt the rear case, rotate as needed, and re-assemble. That article is the complete teardown, but a simple re-clock is just the 4 bolts and something to hold the brushes in place. I did it on my Mark VII which uses that same alternator. It was installed already when I got it, but clocked in a stupid way that made the wiring not sit right.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                    X