Box Headlight sealed units upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Box Headlight sealed units upgrade

I remember a long time ago that they made these selaed healdight units that were black (looked burnt out) when they were off but when they were turned on, THEY WERE BRIGHT!!!!!! I think it was in the JC Whitney catalogue.

I am looking to upgrade to somethig brighter, but of course not to bright so that I can't pass inspection , (THANK YOU NEW JERSEY).

And if I recall, they weren't that expensive.

Anybody know if I can still get these thigns, or if not, somethgi nthat is really bright!!!
    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
    -2011 Subaru Outback

These guys have a sealed beam conversion kit. http://www.autolumination.com/headlights.htm

Scroll about half way down.

I started a similar thread over on CVN awhile back about it. One of the guys showed me that site. I haven't pulled the trigger on any of it yet though.
    1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

stock lights with a relay harness are plenty bright if they are aimed properly.

BTW, New Jersey doesn't do safety inspection anymore. As long as what comes out the tailpipe is clean, you probably don't even need headlights.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

LMAO, are you serious?!?!?!?

Headlight relay???

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
        -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Absolutely. In stock form vs with my relay harness, I picked up over 2 volts to the headlights by using a relay to pull power straight off the battery instead of through all of the in-dash wiring.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

+1 relay (use one relay for low beams and one for high beams). This helps prevent melting the headlight switch harness as the power through the switch is reduced.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Is there a wite up here on this? Sounds like something to do while your doing the 3g upgrade

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
              -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

found it: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...version-how-to

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I like my Sylvania Silverstars...even though the relay upgrade is still on the "to-do list" lol!
                  Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
                  Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Comment

+1 on relay harness. I added one to my car using a 91 ECM harness relay holder. Made my silver stars nearly 100% brighter. You can add all 4 dual beams too so that all 4 are on at once high and low. And it's super bright.
                    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

Some techno jargon on the relays. The important thing here is the voltage to lumen chart.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...ys/relays.html

You can see how rapidly the light output falls with voltage drop.

Comment

good info, thanks!! Ill go the cheap route first

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                        -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Nice thread. Normal halogens just don't seem very bright these days. Guess I ought to measure the voltage across my bulbs and see what I'm losing.

Comment

Halogens do drop off in light output over time too, so that may also be a factor. Stupidly, this seems to be even worse if the lights are too dim. The metal boils off the filament and deposits on the inside of the glass bulb. If the light isn't hot enough, it just stays there and builds up over time, which basically is like tinting the light bulb from the inside. The halogen bit is actually the gas content inside the lamp. Its supposed to keep that from happening, but it needs enough heat to do it effectively.

Comment

interesting!

Yeah, I put in new bulbs, bu it still feel like its not enough, compared to newer cars

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                              -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Working...
                              X