A/C Blower Box Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/C Blower Box Info

Are the A/C/ - Heater Boxes (that hold the heater core) for an '88/89 the same as the ones on an '87 GM??

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Dont know

Motor City Patrick
    1988 MGM

Comment

According to the parts book, 1986-1988 is the same. (book only goes to 1988, so early 1989 will still be a go as it uses the larger early heater core vs smaller later heater core).
      The firewall gasket is the same in everything from 1980.

Comment

I think automatic climate control and manual climate control do use a different box, but thats all I can vouch for. Might be that its just the plenum that is not the same.

Why do you ask? Its not really a part that goes bad, or at least not in a way you can't fix with some small hinges if the air doors have come apart.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Just curious as I saw one on EBAY. It said the compatibility started from '88 and I was not sure if there was a change/cutoff year. My '87 is intact but does need a heater core (currently bypassed and I am not up to replacing it). Good point in reference to the ATC and non-ATC!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

If there is a difference between the two, it didn't jump out at me in the book.
            Have you done a heater core before? If you have, they do infact get easier to do the next time.

Alex.

Comment

Never done one and not physically up to doing one now (wish I could). Need one on my '87/'95 and my brothers Topaz and it appears none will get done. Good thing I live in Southern Florida!! Bobby

P.S. Wonder if there are differences between ATC and non-ATC HVAC Boxes???

Comment

Personally, I don't think so. The ATC stuff is all external to the box. The only thing that would be of question is the top where the atc blend door actuator attaches.
                Do you need this for an atc, or non-atc car?

Alex.

Comment

The blend door actuator area would be the only difference if there is one. I think I was thinking about the plenum assembly, which has an extra door with ATC.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The car is ATC.

Comment

89 is a weird year, the heater core changed sometime in 89
                      i don't see a problem with interchange tho, you just need the proper heater core.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I wouldn't need to swap the entire box but was just curious. Would like to do the heater core but doesn't look likely!!

Comment

Do you even need a heater core in Florida? I mean I know it gets down to 50 once in a while but coats are an option

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            Do you even need a heater core in Florida? I mean I know it gets down to 50 once in a while but coats are an option
                            That along with me NOT being able to do it myself are the major factors in it not getting done. Too expensive to have it done and there generally is not a great need. I'm just picky and because the car is in such wonderful shape it would be nice to have it working.

Comment

Bob as a former resident of greater Miami/Hollywood I never needed heat in my car, save for maybe three days in Feb!
                              Now in the cold cold NE, my 86 GM Tudor needs a core, as the windows do fog when I put the heat on...............but I have to figure eight hours of labor and maybe $600.00/700.00 as a deal from my car bud, candidly I am not too keen on doing this..........first I do not have the cash now, and I have found that a small towel damp with 91% alcohol, clears the inner fog from the window This past summer I put in new FoMoCo blower motor and resistor..........I get plenty of heat, so for the time being I will live with the window fog.

Comment

Working...
                              X