Cruise Control not working?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cruise Control not working?

I had perfectly functioning cruise control in my 84 wagon until I did the SEFI HO swap. In the process of the swap my buddy who was helping me thought he should remove and discard the big cruise "can" under the hood.

I went ot the j yard and got another one but the cruise does not work. I have vacuum into the back of unit that comes from the engine vacuum tee mounted on the firewall. But I don't get vacuum from the other ports and no movement on the cable that I can see.

I know these older boxes are standalone cruise units...can someone help me with trouble shooting? What am I missing? Could the can be faulty or is there some electrical issue?
    1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

Check the vacuum dump valve above the brake pedal. Its what the tee'd line on the cruise servo goes to. If that won't hold vacuum, the cruise won't function. usually its just the valve is knocked out of position and is not fully closed, but the valves do fail and cause problems. Also, make sure the cable is not internally broken. You should be able to tug on the end of it. If it pulls out of the cable jacket, its busted.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
    X