It's dead, looking for some diagnosing help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's dead, looking for some diagnosing help

since I've had the wagon, it had a good month then things started happening. I had a few dead batteries that I thought were linked to the hissing coming from the back, still haven't figured out exactly what is going on but I thought the dead battery was solved with a newer battery until this morning.
    I went to start the car and had nothing.
    I am not just disconnecting the battery when leaving it until I get this figured out, I know that's not the answer so I have to figure what is draining the battery overnight.
    On newer cars there is a fuse for everything and a few fuse panels but I only see the one under the drivers panel in this car and it seems to just be lighting.

When I just replaced the battery, I noticed a cluster of "Fusible links" just behind the starter solenoid and one is toasted.

How do you replace these and why did this melt/burn away?

I am going to look through the book but it's a big book and it may take me a while so if someone here could just point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Tom
    1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Check your fuel pump relay to see if it's staying energized after the key is turned off. As for the fusible link, I just cut the wires on each side and bridge the gap by connecting a new fusible link in it's place. I'd try changing the toasted link before rooting around at other stuff, easiest/cheapest stuff first. Hope this helps!
    Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
    Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

also check the square plug on your alternator and see if it is melty looking(or hook up your battery and see if that area gets "warm") , this happened to my 90 crown vic and would drain a battery overnight also.......

Comment

On an '89, Yellow wire with a 16 guage link (more than 1 joining a yellow wire) goes to the rear window defroster.

The other one goes to the trailer tow package (relays in the trunk), specically the one for the right turn relay.

If you don't have trailer tow, that'll be an easy one to figure out. In either case, just disconnect the link and tie it back so it doesn't flop around. Either is only used for the one function.

Alex.
        Last edited by GM_Guy; 12-20-2013, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nfldfordltd View Post
          Check your fuel pump relay to see if it's staying energized after the key is turned off.
          I'll look into that tomorrow

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
          On an '89, Yellow wire with a 16 guage link (more than 1 joining a yellow wire) goes to the rear window defroster.

The other one goes to the trailer tow package (relays in the trunk), specically the one for the right turn relay.
          Alex.
          It does have the tow package so I'll see which one is fried.

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

If it does happen to have auto-level, make sure that the compressor is not constantly running too. I don't know what color wire that uses, but on mine the relay welded "on" after the system was disconnected and eventually it melted the fuse link.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The defrost worked this morning so it must be the trailer wiring which I haven't even tried to use. I don't think it has auto leveling but not certain, I haven't heard a compressor like in the Sport with air springs.

Sent from the crapper

Comment

Did you disconnect the burned link yet? If not, go do that, and give the systems a go/no go check, including the rear defroster.

Alex.

Comment

The burned link is gone, it had split in 2 and just some of the rubber coating is holding it together.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackVic_P71 View Post
                    The defrost worked this morning so it must be the trailer wiring which I haven't even tried to use. I don't think it has auto leveling but not certain, I haven't heard a compressor like in the Sport with air springs.
                    If you have a factory tow package wagon I'm pretty sure it has auto leveling. It's air shocks not air springs, and there is a small compressor under the hood on the drivers side behind the washer/coolant tanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X