Ignition Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition Problem

So since the ignition coil was changed and needed to be for a long time an issue that popped up before hand is important to fix. It will not crank when i turn the key and only primes the fuel pump when i turn the key. I have changed the fender solenoid thinking that was part of the issue but it didnt help. I can hear clicking coming from the inside right kick panel. From the looks of it it seems like a bad ground somewhere. Anyone have any ideas other than a bad ground?
    2018 F150 XLT 43k
    1970 Buick GS 455 Stage 1 44k
    1968 Buick Riviera

the click is probably the window safety relay dropping out.

Try putting the car in neutral and seeing if it will go. If it works there but not in park, probably the neutral safety switch is worn out or the shift linkage is a bit out of whack. If no go, see if you have power at the starter relay's S terminal (the skinny wire) when the key is turned to start. If nothing, the only spot between the key switch and the relay is the harness down to the transmission. Pull and clean the connector that feeds the trans harness, and if no go there, pull and clean the NSS plug itself. I don't have the EVTM up here to tell you which color wires are the in and out wires for the starter circuit, but someone here probably has theirs handy.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ok. Ill go out and give the NSS a try.
      2018 F150 XLT 43k
      1968 Buick Riviera

Comment

Not the NSS. Same thing in all the gears including neutral. If the wire your talking about is the red one on the solenoid its sorta bent up and seems a bit loose.
        2018 F150 XLT 43k
        1968 Buick Riviera

Comment

pull it off and put it back and try again... sometimes those slip on bolt connected need a good scratching to clear oxides off for better contact.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

If the fender solenoid clicks (and since you already replaced it), you may have a bad starter and thats the ticking noise you are hearing from the right footwell. Start by checking the heavy wiring from the battery back to the starter.

Alex.

Comment

It was the red wire. I checked it earlier before work and it cranked after i moved it around a little bit on the post.
              2018 F150 XLT 43k
              1968 Buick Riviera

Comment

Started right up after i moved the red wire around a bit. Still takes a minute of cranking it over when its cold to get it to start which im assuming is from the timing set being 27 years old and not being changed yet but that will be in a few months.
                2018 F150 XLT 43k
                1968 Buick Riviera

Comment

The red wire thats a slip fit? That'll be an easy fix.

Comment

Working...
                  X