Sequential front turn signals on the Country Squire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sequential front turn signals on the Country Squire

Not sure why I thought about doing this but I did and I think it adds a little custom touch. This can be done a bit easier and cheaper than I did it by using other bulbs or other sequential units.
    The front of the Box Crown Victoria comes with 3 marker lights on the front and one is a signal, the center marker is a 3157 bulb and works as the signal, the outer 2 markers are 194 bulbs and this is where the modification comes in.
    Parts that you will need include:
    - housings - you can modify the ones on your car or buy them aftermarket or use an extra set so that you can go back to stock later, I used a set of Eagle Eye clear front markers and stock clear corners(found on 1991 only).
    - sequential unit - I used one from Web Electric, it's a universal splice in kit that needs a turn signal feed and you wire it to the individual bulbs for sequential operation.
    - harness or plugs - if you plan on using standard 3157 bulbs you will need to get the extra plugs to use for this, you can find them at any parts store or junkyard.
    - bulbs - stock 3157 bulbs will work as will LED with the unit I used, I chose VLED v3 triton bulbs.

Start with your unmodified housing:
    This is an aftermarket clear housing, this is the drivers side.

The signal in stock lights is on the inside of these

The outside is a for a 194 bulb and smaller

The corner is the same as the outer and for a 194 bulb

The inner lamp socket doesn't need to be modified since it is already made to fit a 3157 bulb/socket.
    Using the VLED V3 tritons takes a little work even on a stock opening, you have 6 screw holes around the bulb that will hold it in place and you have to figure out by trial and error which screws need to be in place to make them fit. I used 3 screws(1 for each opening) and needed longer screws than those provided by VLEDs(6mm) to actually hold the bulb in.

I am using VLED V3 triton bulbs which will fit in pretty much any standard housing, I marked the outer edge of the gasket they come with to see where the 194 socket needed to be cut.

After grinding off the extra material, check to make sure the bulb will fit.

These bulbs mount using screws in their side that act like the tabs on a stock socket, once I checked to see that the bulb fit I put the screws in and marked off where to cut for them.

Cut some more

And in they went

You have to do the same modification to the outer housing that also held a 194 bulb

Once the housings have been modified, you can install the bulbs into the housings and get them ready for the car.

The inner signal housing with the V3 bulbs fit through the header panel fine, unfortunately that can't be said for the outer housing with bulb.

So I had to make the hole a bit larger forward of the original hole.

With that done, the housing can be put in.

Then there is the wiring...
    This is the setup outside the car, the cylinder there is the "dynamite stick" used to create the sequence. The metal boxes are the controls for the V3 triton bulbs, the one without a piece of tape is for the amber/amber outer bulb. I numbered everything so it would be easier for me to install.

I have it set up to have each "ballast" running light to be powered by its individual socket power. I have the outer 2 with power and ground run from the car to the socket with a weatherpack connector(so I can change it back to stock if I feel like it).

The sequencer comes with instructions for use, it is generally used on the tails so there is a wire to have them light in sequence once then turn solid. In this case that wire is not used and is tucked up out of the way.
    The cars signal wire is run to the sequencer and the inner signal, the sequencer then runs the signal to the second and third signal.
    I am using an electronic flasher since I have LED signals, the flash rate is just long enough to turn on the outer bulb, there are people that will modify the flashers to your liking but I am ok with it as it functions now.

I have tried to use a regular bulb in the place of the 194 bulb on the corner and was not successful, the inner housing has more than enough room to do this but the corner light does not, it isn't deep enough for a larger bulb like a standard 3147. I tried a normal bulb and an LED, it was a tower and was the same depth as the stock bulb so it did not fit. You may be able to use a flatter 3147 LED but I haven't found one yet.
    1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Nice write up. Hope it gets' stickied.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Sweet! Sounds like a neat idea for the tails on GMs. I like the headlight on the far passenger side.

'93 T-bird
      '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
      '88 Mark VII
      '86 CV

Comment

that's awesome.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Originally posted by purplebomb302 View Post
          Sweet! Sounds like a neat idea for the tails on GMs.
          There is a video on Youtube of that already, using a different(easier to use) sequencer.

Originally posted by purplebomb302 View Post
          I like the headlight on the far passenger side.
          Hella housings with VLED bulbs

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

UPDATE:
            This can be done cheaper with other LED bulbs. I found one of my old LEDs that fit the stock socket and tried it out, it fit perfectly in the corner housing.
            You'll need:
            - 4 extra 3147 sockets(not stock ones, they don't fit the corner)
            - wiring
            - Electronic flasher
            This just requires a little extra careful work.

To do this you'll need to find a similar sized bulb to the one that I used, it is smaller than the stock 3147 and much smaller than most LED tower bulbs.

You'll need 2 more 3147 sockets, those brown ones were gotten at a local parts store for a few dollars.
            The socket comes with a rubber gasket on it to seal against the housing, remove that and mark that on the housing to trim.

Mark the edge of that gasket with a marker and cut out all the plastic that is marked, I used a dremel sanding drum for this part.

When I first tried this, I had a spare stock plug on hand and used that to trim the opening for the tabs that lock the socket in place(this will not fit in the corner, it broke the housing when I tried to turn it to lock). Once the hole in the housing is the size of the gasket, the socket will fit in up to the locking tabs, place it in and mark where the tabs are. I used a dremel cutting disc for this but you could use a file.

Here are the housings modified(the corner broke when I tried to use a stock plug).

Now you will have brighter light in all 3 spots from the much larger 3147 bulb.

Last edited by BlackVic_P71; 03-10-2014, 03:27 PM.

Comment

This is super cool. Anything for the rear as well?
              1987 Grand Marquis LS (GONE!)
              1990 Grand Marquis GS

I like to go fast

Comment

Originally posted by Deno McThrash View Post
                This is super cool. Anything for the rear as well?
                These lights don't really allow much in the way of sequentialness but they do have the same type bulbs in them.

Comment

Very bright

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
                  1990 Grand Marquis GS

I like to go fast

Comment

Comment

I approve this mod

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thumbs up, this is dope.
                        1990 Grand Marquis GS

I like to go fast

Comment

Working...
                        X