LED cluster bulbs in a Box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED cluster bulbs in a Box?

Do these cars have the standard cluster bulbs that all modern cars have? can they be switched out with LED bulbs? I'd like some white LED bulbs in my cluster

2011 Ford Ranger Sport 4.0 2wd - Magnaflow Axleback exhaust, K&N 63 Series CAI, DiabloSport 87 Octane tune, LEDs, 3000K LED projector fogs, 5000K Mini H1 projectors - Daily
    1967 Ford Galaxie 500 Sedan "C-Code" - 289 2bbl/Cruise-O-Matic - Money pit/project

194 wedge style bulbs in the cluster. you will have to remove the colored caps in order for your white lights to show.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
      194 wedge style bulbs in the cluster. you will have to remove the colored caps in order for your white lights to show.
      I figured they were standard 194s but I wanted to make sure, thanks

2011 Ford Ranger Sport 4.0 2wd - Magnaflow Axleback exhaust, K&N 63 Series CAI, DiabloSport 87 Octane tune, LEDs, 3000K LED projector fogs, 5000K Mini H1 projectors - Daily
      1967 Ford Galaxie 500 Sedan "C-Code" - 289 2bbl/Cruise-O-Matic - Money pit/project

Comment

Also note that there isn't much room for anything other than a 194 bulb, so if you do put in LEDs, they must be about the same physical size or smaller while using the 194 base.

also, do not replace the AMP (Alternator idiot light) bulb. LED will be on all the time. There is actually low current going through that bulb when it's "off".

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
          Also note that there isn't much room for anything other than a 194 bulb, so if you do put in LEDs, they must be about the same physical size or smaller while using the 194 base.

also, do not replace the AMP (Alternator idiot light) bulb. LED will be on all the time. There is actually low current going through that bulb when it's "off".
          Got it. I was only going to replace the 3 gauge panel lights and climate control lights because green is hideous and bright white would match the car better.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
            God I did this and tore apart a lot only to learn this awhile ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The alternator also will probably not charge if you do that.

I used warm white lamps on mine, it comes out at the stock greenish color but much brighter. I can actually see the gauges at night.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                The alternator also will probably not charge if you do that.

I used warm white lamps on mine, it comes out at the stock greenish color but much brighter. I can actually see the gauges at night.
                That's funny. I had to turn mine down. OH wait, 87 and earlier got the weird flood lighting didn't they? I like the ugly green people seem to hate on here.
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Yeah, its sort of a flood light thing. My needles do not glow like the later ones did. I put mine back to stock actually after years of running blue lights. It started to hurt my eyes. Forget who, but someone on here was kind enough to hook me up with some stock color filters. I put regular bulbs in it initially but couldn't see anything. 2800K LEDs are darn close to stock color but considerably brighter.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I know where those filters came from. I ended up giving what was left of that cluster to rsolis for parts or trash since I had no use for it and he met me at my place.

I run blue LEDs in The Ice Car and can see how many people probably wouldn't be able to stand them, especially if they do a lot of night driving, but I like them.
                    In The Scab I run Red LEDs, not bad on the eyes at all.
                    Of course for a '90-'91 box (actually '98-'02 cluster in The Ice Car) both of those colors require a fair amount of time to modify the cluster (unlike older boxes that have nice easily removable filters).
                    As crappy as the stock lighting was in both '91 MGMs that I have, there was no way that I could leave them stock.
                    My '89, on the other hand, I never had any issues with the stock lighting.
                    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Huh, cluster lighting doesn't bother me at all in either of the '90s but I guess different strokes. Got the cop cluster out of the busted car, putting it in the new one on sunday. Think all the lights work...

Comment

How hard would it be to retrofit the 88-89 TC cluster in your 87 gadget?

Red lighting is a nautical thing, doesn't excite the cones in your eyes so there's less strain at night. Why most alarm clocks are red, so it doesn't hurt to look at them in the middle of the night.
                        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                        X