No announcement yet.

help! windshield fogs horribly at the drop of a hat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the 50 bucks or so a new one costs, you couldn't make me spend 3 hours extracting a used one. My time is worth a lot more than that to me.

Pressure test it before installing too. I rigged a pressure regulator up to the air compressor and set it for 15 psi. Jammed my finger in the other end to seal the core, and dunked it in a bucket of water. You don't want to see bubbles. The first core I put in my car was bad out of the box. Its hours to change that thing, so you don't want to be putting bad parts in.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

When I pulled the carpet on my '86 Tudor the carpet jute pads and the floor pan were soaked with the green coolent!..bi-passed the core, now saving to put A new core in.....btw try and get a FoMoCo core....here are some p/n's:E3AZ-18476-E. or E9LY-18476-A...do not forget the inlet restriction E7VY-18D358-A
      Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      the AC dries the air, yes. Defrost works without it, but it works better if the AC works, especially when its warmer out and you don't want to bake yourself out of the car. Set to cold with no AC, it does squat. It also obviously does squat until the car warms up enough to make heat.

The heater cores seldom leak to the point where the carpet gets wet. It doesn't take much to steam the window though. If it got that sweet smell going on, thats a big clue that the core has given up.

Comment

thanks, everyone... looks like i'll be spending a day working on the car instead.

Toploader, what is the restrictor? Don't think I saw that referenced in the writeup Sly did that you guys posted (very helpful, btw).

Originally posted by Toploader View Post
        When I pulled the carpet on my '86 Tudor the carpet jute pads and the floor pan were soaked with the green coolent!..bi-passed the core, now saving to put A new core in.....btw try and get a FoMoCo core....here are some p/n's:E3AZ-18476-E. or E9LY-18476-A...do not forget the inlet restriction E7VY-18D358-A

Comment

The restrictor keeps the pressure going to the core on the inlet side from blowing it up due to over bearing hose pressure.
          Originally posted by sinistral View Post
          thanks, everyone... looks like i'll be spending a day working on the car instead.

Toploader, what is the restrictor? Don't think I saw that referenced in the writeup Sly did that you guys posted (very helpful, btw).

Comment

so that needs to be replaced as well or can i just use the one (presumably) currently installed? is it located in the hose or the pipe stub to the core?

The restrictor keeps the pressure going to the core on the inlet side from blowing it up due to over bearing hose pressure.

Comment

If you have one already, no need to buy a new one It is in the hose opening.
              so that needs to be replaced as well or can i just use the one (presumably) currently installed? is it located in the hose or the pipe stub to the core?

Comment

"(remove cover behind steering wheel, unbolt the white ring. it may be broken, it might not be. Carefully remove wire from black clip on the shifter.)"

do i just unbolt and release the cable, or do i need to remove this white ring entirely? afraid it is gonna snap (just one bolt, right?)

"Sly's note: There a stamped steel piece that the fuse panel cover attaches to that needs to be removed."

hmm, don't see this piece. ??

Comment

If you have one already, no need to buy a new one It is in the hose opening.
                  black plastic thingy? looks like there is a new one in the new core.

BTW, soooo glad i had the guy open the box at the store -- that unit was visibly damaged (thankfully i had seen a pic of the core in the other thread to know!).

Comment

IGNORE ... went ahead and pulled it off the column and got it to drop.

do i just unbolt and release the cable, or do i need to remove this white ring entirely? afraid it is gonna snap (just one bolt, right?

hmm, don't see this piece. ??

Comment

so they are including that restrictor in the new cores now? Cool. Mine didn't have one originally, and the new one did not come with either. I put a washer in there to choke the flow down.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

hilarious story.
                        2 weeks ago I got up in the morning and the inside of the car had condensation EVERYWHERE.
                        It was also the first day of a new job-- so it was the first time in a long time I'd woken up to leave at 7am. I figured it was early morning condensation but godDAMN it was bad. ...was it getting through the windshield...?!?
                        Like towel to wipe down the inside or I'm blind driving into the sun bad.

I was sleepy and didn't put 2 and 2 together until mid morning...
                        I had put a bunch of plants in back from my garden to give to a friend later after work. The evaporation off of their leaves had turned the inside of the car into a rainforest.

Next morning at 7am, plants happily re-homed, was much closer to normal in level of condensation

Comment

grrrr... now i know why the bezel around the instrument cluster was cracked on the right side — that stupid clip was jacked and i ended up breaking the bezel to get it free and get that piece out.

so the instrument cluster is only pulling out like an inch... how am i supposed to undo it all from behind?

(still can't believe i have to tear this much of the dash apart just to get to the stupid heater core.)

back at it tomorrow.

Comment

You have to reach up underneath the dash and release the speedo cable. Get your fingers around the white collar. Push inwards to the cluster while pinching upwards and then pull out. You can get to the electrical connectors once the tension of the speedo cable is released.
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Everything to do with interior and body electrical including headlights and tail lights. CFI specific discussions and AC/heating systems.

Comment

i don't suppose there's anyone from this forum in the denver area...

Comment

Working...
                                X