Door chime & early model brake booster Q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door chime & early model brake booster Q

Hey guys, I have two questions. Vehicle is a 1991 mgm I parked the car this morning, turned off ignition, and opened the door to hear the car chime which I've never heard before (I've had the car for 6 years) I can't seem to pull up much on this. What is it for, at what times does it chime, and how do I check it?

Second question, I'm going to replace the brake booster and master cylinder soon. I've read you can use late model brake boosters which are smaller and function the same. Is there a certain year range I should be looking for, and do I need a late model master cylinder as well/will it work with a box?
    1991 Grand Marquis LS blog- Mayhem; two 12" Kenwood 800w subs, True dual catback, BBK shorties, cherrybombs, steel top, L/H hella lights, 18" AR Torq thrust, Trans cooler, class 3 hitch kit, more on the way...

the chime comes on if you open the door with the keys in the ignition, or have left the lights on. If you've never done this, thats why it hasn't made noise. Either that, or its dying and decided to resurrect itself for a bit.

you can use the stock master cylinder, but you need a NON-abs booster otherwise it doesn't bolt up right. 90s parts work, but I'm not totally sure off the top of my head if there is a preferred year or not. If you dig through 5 speed conversion threads, the info should be there. The smaller booster is needed to fit in a clutch cable.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

You mean a chime that is distinctly different from the normal chime that sounds when the door is open? Or is this the first time you have ever heard any chime when you open the door?

I've heard a different chime on my 91 MGM that was not the door open chime. I don't even have the chime module connected, disconnecting it was one of the first things I did when I bought the car, so I know for a fact that it does not come from the chime module. I think in my case it was the airbag module/system, I'm not certain, but wherever the chime was coming from it only happened while I was changing my heater core and I keyed on with stuff disconnected. I believe disconnecting the red ground cable under the passenger side kickpanel is what cased the chime to go off when the key was turned on. If it wasn't that it would have been one of the two large connectors in that same kickpanel area.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

if the air bag light does not work, you'll get beeps from the bomb control module telling you that the primary fault indicator (the light) is out. It will continue beeping until you fix it or shoot the thing.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

That makes sense in regard to the air bag module.

If the issue for the OP is that the chime has never worked and for some reason it decided to work, there was a thread posted a few months ago covering a common reason why/how the chime module stops making noise and how to fix it (if desired): http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...ighlight=chime
          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Hey guys quick question before i go tearing my brake stuff out.. in this thread http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...T5-Time-is-Now it looks like he got 98 booster in. I have two questions;
            1. Its longer, so will the brake lines need to be replaced as well or do they flex out to compensate for the extra length?
            2. Do I just get the same year as my car (91) master cylinder?
            1991 Grand Marquis LS blog- Mayhem; two 12" Kenwood 800w subs, True dual catback, BBK shorties, cherrybombs, steel top, L/H hella lights, 18" AR Torq thrust, Trans cooler, class 3 hitch kit, more on the way...

Comment

The lines should have enough play, obviously you'll have to check, I had to redo the rear line as I was changing to the 90+ brake line configuration anyways. If your brakes are stock, just use a stock replacement master, if you plan on doing rear disc and the big brake swap, then get a 98-02 non abs master.

There's really no huge advantage to running a 92+ booster, I only did it because I needed the room for my clutch cable.
              2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
              2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                The lines should have enough play, obviously you'll have to check, I had to redo the rear line as I was changing to the 90+ brake line configuration anyways. If your brakes are stock, just use a stock replacement master, if you plan on doing rear disc and the big brake swap, then get a 98-02 non abs master.

There's really no huge advantage to running a 92+ booster, I only did it because I needed the room for my clutch cable.
                I actually did get a 98 non abs master, but it doesn't have the port for one of the lines on the driver side, ill take a pic if I can. No traction control? I'm going to switch to a manual which is also why im doing the mod, I just need the stock stuff to work with this setup for a while.

Comment

Here is the pic-

I could have sworn I got the right one though...

Brake booster for comparison in size hence my concern lol

Comment

Ya, 90/91 use the 3 line system, you'd have to put a T in it to run the 2 line system. If your just running stock brakes for now, just run the factory master on the 92+ booster
                    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

the master should sit about half an inch behind the stock air box if still equipped.

+1 The brake lines should flex enough, but the bends won't be as neat. You may need to T that front port for your front lines.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys, I might just put a T in and see how it goes. If it makes any difference the brake lines etc. will probably end up being replaced with the big brake conversion down the road as well.

Comment

Working...
                        X