Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3G Alternator... yes I know this subject has been beaten to death...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	1278289Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	1278290Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	1278291Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	1278292Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	1278293Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	1278294

Them be the pics. Car's underhood is a bit dirtier than I'd like but it'll get cleaned in the spring.

First pic is just an overview, can't tell anything is different aside from the alternator itself unless you're looking very closely.
    Second pic shows my stupid long positive cable, dumb amp fuse and then the 3G charge cable, fusible link style (the two grey wires coming into the SS from the bottom)
    Third pic shows those plastic doofrads I used along the core support to hold the charge cable. I still ended up using three zip ties along the CS though.
    Remaining pics show the wiring going up to my dumb Shitstar alternator. If I had known what I know now I'd have ordered a GT alternator.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I got to say...That's a bang up job!!! Well Done! I thought that you were supposed to bolt down the power cable to the solenoid, and not like you have it (to the positive wire clamp to the battery).
      "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
      -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
      -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	loose ground.png
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	1278295

In addition, on a different subject, when I was changing the oil in my car, I found this wire here fell off on the end that went to the terminal. What exactly does this do besides providing another ground?
        "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
        -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
        -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
        -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

That's the body ground. IIRC, that's the only actual ground point to the battery from the body. The rest are either contact through the body mount bolts to the frame or looping back through other electronics to the engine. I know on the aeros, they added a grounding strap from the rear of the intake to the firewall, but I don't remember any other body to frame connections. If you're running a large sound system and loose your body ground, you'll find out pretty quick where the other grounds are if all the body mounts are good and isolated as you'll probably let the magic smoke out of stuff.

now I'm curious about it. I'll have to go check out my box and see if I can find more grounds. I may also finally upgrade the body ground to 4AWG.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by porschpow View Post
            I got to say...That's a bang up job!!! Well Done! I thought that you were supposed to bolt down the power cable to the solenoid, and not like you have it (to the positive wire clamp to the battery).
            Thank you very much! I did, the cable going to the battery is for the amplifier. If you look at the starter solenoid you can see the two light grey cables going to the stud from the bottom, that's the new charge wire. I used a wire from a 1995ish Continental, those use a fusible link instead of the 175 amp mega fuse. You can run the charge wire right to the battery though, some folks on here have done just that.

Originally posted by sly View Post
            That's the body ground. IIRC, that's the only actual ground point to the battery from the body. The rest are either contact through the body mount bolts to the frame or looping back through other electronics to the engine. I know on the aeros, they added a grounding strap from the rear of the intake to the firewall, but I don't remember any other body to frame connections. If you're running a large sound system and loose your body ground, you'll find out pretty quick where the other grounds are if all the body mounts are good and isolated as you'll probably let the magic smoke out of stuff.

now I'm curious about it. I'll have to go check out my box and see if I can find more grounds. I may also finally upgrade the body ground to 4AWG.
            Cool, curious to see what you find. I'm upgrading that ground this afternoon.
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
            X