Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TPS...playa!!!

I did it....I freaking did it!!

I had a surging and stall issue that has been plaguing me for some time.
    I did everything....vacuum lines, idle air control valve, etc....nothing.
    This is the first time that I actually fixed something without any aid from my mechanic buddy ( it feels really good!)...
    its huge confidence booster as well.

I got my hands on a Motorcraft TPS and popped it in.
    My 88 TC can barely be heard when at stop lights...no more putting in park....no more praying for green before a stall

She is so more fun to drive now!
    Anyone ever get high like this when they cure their rides? Never felt like this before

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Always a score when you can repair something yourself AND relatively cheap!!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

It actually brings you and your ride a little closer, don't you think?
      1989 crown Vic daily driver 165k and counting!
      1987 MGM 49xxx mi awaiting light resto

Comment

I do very little of my own work on my cars. Just don't have the time or the tools to do it right, so I pay. Anyway, I have a few repairs that I was always happy I was able to do. I had a 79 Continental. It ran great cold, but surged and was hard to hold speed when warm. The mechanic fussed with the timing, carb etc etc.. I finally on a total whim replaced the vacuum advance valve on the side of the distributor and the car ran like a top.

The other is the well known O-ring repair for the EATC on the whales. Saves you a ton of money, and doesn't take long.
        2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
        2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
        Past Panthers
        1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
        if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Originally posted by Grand1 View Post
          She is so more fun to drive now!
          Anyone ever get high like this when they cure their rides? Never felt like this before
          Yep. After my first tune-up and weight reduction. The car ran SO MUCH BETTER. Fired up faster when cold, ran smoother, had more power, etc. This natural high you speak of is something that most, if not all, box panther owners here have enjoyed at one time or another. It's all part of the adventure of owning these cars!
          '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
          '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
          '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

I am not a mechanic by any stretch....but I'm starting to get the feel for things.
            I am rebuilding a 1978 Grand Marquis (thread started ) which has really cut my teeth.

The biggest thing that I have started to overcome..... is just the plain fear that I will f__k something up.
            Working on a car for me was pretty intimidating...I guess its just fear of the unknown.

And Djtb78 your right..... it does make you feel closer.
            That and no more outrageous, annoying, and expensive mechanic bills!!!!

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Comment

The big freak-out for me is getting difficult bolts out, but once it's done, it's a relief. I always clean things up nice (and use anti-seize if appropriate) so I know I won't have problems the next time. I can't imagine too many mechanics take that kind of time when they're working on book time.

Some things I would definitely take to a mechanic, but doing the more mundane stuff yourself is definitely worth it. And having access to a site like this one is a huge bonus.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
              mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Working...
              X