No announcement yet.

How to bi-pass low-n-high? '86 MGM Tudor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

correction... the nipple on the soup can will work with 1/8 ID hose. Just checked. The check valve needs the larger size though, so a 1/8 coupler and one of those adapter ends from the HELP section would do the trick.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I attempted to utilize 5/32 hose on the soup can nipple.....too small!! So is is safe to assume the valve needs 7/32 hose??
      Originally posted by sly View Post
      correction... the nipple on the soup can will work with 1/8 ID hose. Just checked. The check valve needs the larger size though, so a 1/8 coupler and one of those adapter ends from the HELP section would do the trick.

Comment

guess yours is different from my 88. *shrugs*

as for the check valve... it should be 3 or 5/32 for the small ends going to the soup can and AC controls. The fat end going to the vac tree should be 7/32.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

If the soup can is 7/32, then the valve nipple leading to it has to be the same size......on my '86 5/16 is too small.
          guess yours is different from my 88. *shrugs*

as for the check valve... it should be 3 or 5/32 for the small ends going to the soup can and AC controls. The fat end going to the vac tree should be 7/32.

Comment

I'll have to re-measure. My memory of them things must be off.

oh well... as long as the rubber fits snugly over the nipple... you're good.

Comment

methinks toploader needs a set of calipers. Harbor Freight usually has workable ones for cheap. They're not amazing, but plenty good enough for this sort of thing. I never believed how much I'd use mine until I owned a set.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                methinks toploader needs a set of calipers. Harbor Freight usually has workable ones for cheap. They're not amazing, but plenty good enough for this sort of thing. I never believed how much I'd use mine until I owned a set.
                This. The digital ones I have had for almost a year have been used... A... LOT.

Comment

No harbor freight in the City of New York:-(
                  Originally posted by gadget73 View Post

Comment

They do mail order.
                    also: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0152/N2360.oap
                    also: http://www.amazon.com/6-Inch-Stainle...dp/B00A4ASZ80/
                    Last edited by sly; 09-26-2015, 12:24 AM.

Comment

cheap calipers can be had from many places. Ebay has them by the crate load. I prefer the analog ones just because the battery is never dead. OTOH, having a magic button to translate millipedes to inches can be handy.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

So today I replaced the entire line from the vac tree under the windshield to the vac can. I ran the line with 7/32 rubber vac hose.....not 5/32 as Ford says.........the nipples on both side are 7/32......so I thought why use 5/32 and plastic T's?

Comment

I'll have to re-measure. My memory of them things must be off.

oh well... as long as the rubber fits snugly over the nipple... you're good.

Well... hehe never mind.
                          sigpic
                          89 LTC 429>557 Cobrajet stroker
                          13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l
                          "If I could separate what's real from what I've been dreaming I could live to fight another day"

Comment

Originally posted by Toploader View Post
                            So today I replaced the entire line from the vac tree under the windshield to the vac can. I ran the line with 7/32 rubber vac hose.....not 5/32 as Ford says.........the nipples on both side are 7/32......so I thought why use 5/32 and plastic T's?
                            5/32" is excellent for splicing/repairing the plastic lines but it's way too small to slide reasonably well over the barb elbows/unions/T-ees. For the rubber lines 3/16" fuel hose worked great. 7/32" fits too loose on the barb fittings, didn't trust it without at least zip-ties to tighten them a bit.
                            The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                            The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Seems to fit ok.......once on, can't see why they should pull off? No mention of 3/16 by Ford in the Emissions manual for this repair....if I happpen to pass an auto parts store I'll p/u 3/16...just in case.
                              Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
                              5/32" is excellent for splicing/repairing the plastic lines but it's way too small to slide reasonably well over the barb elbows/unions/T-ees. For the rubber lines 3/16" fuel hose worked great. 7/32" fits too loose on the barb fittings, didn't trust it without at least zip-ties to tighten them a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Toploader View Post
                                Seems to fit ok.......once on, can't see why they should pull off? No mention of 3/16 by Ford in the Emissions manual for this repair....if I happpen to pass an auto parts store I'll p/u 3/16...just in case.
                                Nah, I doubt they'll actually pull off. They're under vacuum anyways, that ought to help 'em stay put. I was after the best seal I can get, an SEFI car can somewhat tolerate small vacuum leaks but with a CFI any and all vacuum leaks regardless of how small are a major no-no. The 3/16" fuel line just seems to seal better to the barb fittings, not just cause it's smaller ID but the walls are also thicker and thus both harder to stretch and more abrasion resistant. If 7/32" fits good for you then run that, I tried it and decide one size down is better for what I was after. YMMV
                                The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                                The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Working...
                                X