Trunk wiring harness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trunk wiring harness?

OK, the trunk wiring harness on my 1991 Crown Vic needs to be replaced... it has been jury rigged many years ago, (The plug over the drivers side wheel well fried, so I cut it out and spliced the wires together to make it work temporarily... so now it is acting up again... right side brake light quit working...

So my question is, does the wiring harness plug in up under the dash, or is it wired directly into the fuse panel... I am going to go get the wiring harness tomorrow from the junk yard, if they still have the one they had the last time I was there... So can anyone tell me where it plugs in, (Pictures maybe of the location?) if not, I'll just cut it near the "B" pillar, and splice it, and use some shrink tubing to 1. make it water proof, B. Make it harder to pull apart. C. to make it look neater... I need to get it fixed tomorrow, (Monday) since I'm off....

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
    Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

I've never a crown vic but if it's like most other cars I have done. The wiring going to the rear will plug into the main wiring harness around the drivers side kick panel.
    I've seen some plug in around the B pillar and a few where the wires go behind the back seat and over the rear tire.
    Always on the drivers side.

Comment

I'd also guess that it mates in at the kick panel area. Might involve multiple plugs though. I believe driver's side is correct for the lighting circuits too. There is one on the passenger side as well, but on my Townie at least that is for the speakers and air suspension stuff.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The wiring harness goes over the wheel well and goes to the front of the car under the dash. Ford put a multi pin plug over the wheel well, making it impossible to get to with out pulling the entire harness out from the trunk... Just trying to fix this temp. until I can get the new harness from the car in the junk yard... (Have to wait until payday) I took out the wiring harness that the trailer hitch people put in, boy did they screw up the wiring for that. They used those damn clamp on taps... a very shitty way of doing it... I took them all out including the harness since I don't use the trailer hitch anyway... (On a regular basis anyway!) So one of the wires was chewed up pretty bad from that so I had to cut a section out, and re splice it... I put the two ends together and the right taillight started flashing... so that was part of my problem... I used some of the crimp terminals to put it back together, but it wouldn't work... So I cut the terminal out and let the end touch the body and zap, blew the fuse,,, dammit!!! So now I have to figure out which fuse in the fuse block is out... and replace it, so I can continue with my trouble shooting... I think the terminal was crimped a little too much, and possibly cut the one wire... dammit! So I think I will do a "western union" splice and solder it together and use some shrink wrap... I HATE working on wiring problems!!!!! Then we will see if that takes care of the problem....

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…

Comment

Went by Ford today, they looked at the car, and narrowed it down to the turn signal switch. Since everything runs through it.... (Lights) it makes sense.... I have a lifetime warranty one I bought t Advance a couple of years ago... When the windshield wiper switch broke... I told them I would replace it myself... So I called the local Advance and ordered a new one... the guy even called the store in Florida I bought it from and got the transaction number and ordered to for me... no charge, straight swap out.... So Monday on my day off, I will be swapping it out...

Comment

Bonus!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

So went and picked up the new switch, while installing it, when I was pulling old one, I found two wires that had pulled out of the plug... (and the contact) And lo and behold, the wire was blue and orange, the color of the wire for the taillight on the right side rear... and the second one for the taillights on the right side... BINGO! So I swapped it out, and super glued the wire into the plug, so it won't come out again... So if you have any lights (Turn signals, brakes, etc...) that go out.....check the plugs on the turn signal switch and make sure one didn't come loose....

Comment

I've had to plastic welder epoxy a few wires in place over the years myself. Stuff works great... even under the hood. The DevCon version dries to a "no more need to hold it" state in 5-10 minutes and full cure in 24 hours above 70F. The locktite stuff dries just as fast but is like water almost and hard as hell to work with.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yes, I HATE Ford plugs and wiring... they either crumble, crack, or get loose and have the contacts pull out and not stay in place...

Comment

Working...
                  X