Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No instrumentation backlighting?? No power mirrors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No instrumentation backlighting?? No power mirrors?

90 Town Car...hope this is OK to post here since it's a 5.0...

So my gauge cluster works. The clock turns on/off. When I turn on headlights, the clock dims.

But...I have no backlighting for anything - light switch, auto-dim range, HVAC, stereo, fuel door, etc. No backlighting and no owners manual to check either.

Is there a specific fuse to look at?

My power mirrors do not work. And no backlighting on anything. The digi dash works fine, but gear indicator has no backlighting. The footwell lights, the overhead lights, the moonroof, the power windows and power locks all work.
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
    03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

I highly recommend the service manual for every car that you buy. Not that Chilton/Hayes crap but the actual official manual. Those things have been nothing short of awesome for helping me troubleshoot electrical crap for our cars.

Anyhow, in your case I'd check the owners manual for a possible fuse that has blown. If it was working before that's what I'd suspect. That or the main main feed line for those things as I doubt they all share the same ground. I was having an issue with the speedometer not working on our GMC. Everything else on the cluster worked but the speedometer. That cluster has two feeds and only one of them worked. I ended up tracing the problem back to the fuse block, one of the terminals had corroded so while the fuse was good, no current was passing through the corroded ends. Fixed that up and bam, speedometer works once again.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Sounds almost like troubles I was having at Carlisle, but missing some of the affected areas. I'm not sure if there is a dedicated fused circuit for dash illumination or if its tied into another circuit. I'd start by checking for any loose wires, and if you haven't found the problem, I do have a open circuit tester if you'd like to try it this weekend.

My Cars:
      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Should be a low amp fuse for that. 5 amp or so. Could also be the dimmer control on the headlamp switch. Also, make sure its not just turned all the way down.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Have you looked to see if your parking lamps still work?

Alex.

Comment

Parking lights work with or wiThout auto lamp. The knob on headlight switch does not adjust dimming. Turning lights on dims the clock some. That's it. No backlighting for the gear indicator or anything else and no power mirrors.
            -Nick M.
            Columbia, SC

Comment

Kinda says it's not the switch as the clock is responding. Does the clock respond to the dimmer? Have you bought that service manual??
              http://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-LINCOLN...7e63f8&vxp=mtr

Could be a fuse but most certainly has to do with the main power feed for that circuit. Mr. manual is your friend here, you will love manual long time.

Comment

I ordered EVTM and wiring diagram duo for $20 shipped on eBay last night, so hopefully they arrive before long.

Clock does not respond to dimmer - all it does is just dims to default nighttime mode?

I picked up an owner's manual, but the way it's described in there, I don't think the issue resides with a fuse, as other functions tied to fuses that handle the Dimmer, are working fine.

No power mirrors, and no background lighting w/controlled dimming is all I have at the moment.
                -Nick M.
                Columbia, SC

Comment

Yeah I got nothing. When that manual plops in you'll have to scour it. Those things are awesome for troubleshooting.

Comment

I'm wagering fuse weirdness or loose ground/wire somewhere.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The Speed Control light does not illuminate on the dashboard either. There's something going on clearly!

The overhead lights is because someone removed the contact points for the ceiling lights. I have a donor switch bezel/panel to install and see how that fixes it.

I have the wiring diagrams and books, and since this car has piece it together approach with doors from other vehicles, it could be a wiring issues inside the door or into the body.

BTW - Ford was stupid for not having disconnects for the door wiring. Seriously - the harness goes from the body, through the grommet/accordion into the door. No disconnect anywhere.
                      -Nick M.
                      Columbia, SC

Comment

Yah, looks like you need to start ripping stuff apart and testing for voltage and looking for shorts. Fun stuff.

Comment

Boxes were built the same way. Its a real bitch changing those doors. Have to fish all that nonsense out, then get it all back in and routed properly so the window doesn't chew it up.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

what a bunch of non-sense. I'm tempted to make my own wiring disconnect.

And I pulled every single fuse and visibly looked at it last night. The only bad one I found was air pump 30 amp fuse.

Also possible I have a melty connector for the headlight switch or a bad headlight switch.

We'll see....
                            -Nick M.
                            Columbia, SC

Comment

A good fuse doesn't mean power is even getting to it!! That was the issue with the speedometer in the GMC all along. I initially checked the fuses but all were good so I put that behind me. Later on the troubleshooter manual pointed me back there and upon closer examination I found the "hot" end of the fuse clip was corroded, and it broke away when I probed it for power but until it broke away, meter read 0.00 volts. Broke it and I had 12.xx. Not saying you'll have the exact issue but if you do have power in the right place then you get the fun exciting time of digging deeper.

Comment

Working...
                              X