No announcement yet.

brake lights stuck ON

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, a relay would unload the switch quite effectively. If its carrying no current, it basically cannot burn out, though shite physical construction could still allow it to fail.

Using super duper high current bulbs or towing a trailer with extra lights will also do the switch no favors. Its not exactly over-built to begin with, and it won't like extra load all that much. The factory tow package cars had a bank of relays to make sure that the trailer lights didn't add extra load to the switches in the car.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I had a multi-function switch short out on me one time, years ago and that caused the same problem. The cam on the signal light lever return broke off and dropped down into the MF switch, causing a short in the brake light circuit. I dunno if that's your problem, but worth looking into.
      Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
      Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
      X