Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possibility of over-spinning 3G alternator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possibility of over-spinning 3G alternator?

I have a 3G alternator that is waiting to go in whenever I get around to acquiring the wiring and circuit breaker. I recently picked up a new Motorcraft GP712 pulley for it. This pulley fits a lot of different applications originally equipped with a 3G alternator and is the same size as the 2G alternator pulley, allowing me to use the stock belt whenever I do the swap.

That being said, I want to make sure that I won't be over-spinning the alternator or over-charging the system with this setup. I have the higher amp version (two holes) and will be installing 3.73 gears in the near future.
    —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

on a lopo? no. On an HO? most likely not. But you'll find out if it squeals a lot (belt slip at higher RPMs only or bearings screaming).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

How big is the pulley? There are many different sizes available, at least two that I'm aware of in the 2G option.

But yeah, Sly is right - at high RPM you may hear the belt scream, it's cause it barely wraps around the pulley and thus doesn't have a lot of traction on it. Without custom-fabricating an idler pulley setup, there's nothing you can do about that. And no oddly enough I haven't done the idler yet, tho I was looking at one last night thinking how it can be implemented.
      The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
      The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Don't worry about it. Worst thing you will do is improve idle performance out of the alternator. I ran my 2G pulley on my 3G, no ill effects.

Alex.

Comment

The voltage regulator will take care of any over-charge concerns. I haven't heard of any mechanical failures related to running them at high speed either but if you're worried you can run the larger alternator pulley and go with the slightly longer belt.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
            How big is the pulley? There are many different sizes available, at least two that I'm aware of in the 2G option.

But yeah, Sly is right - at high RPM you may hear the belt scream, it's cause it barely wraps around the pulley and thus doesn't have a lot of traction on it. Without custom-fabricating an idler pulley setup, there's nothing you can do about that. And no oddly enough I haven't done the idler yet, tho I was looking at one last night thinking how it can be implemented.
            I haven't measured it, but it's the exact size as the 2G pulley.
            —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
            1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
            1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
            1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Working...
            X