Headlight relay / isolated wire harness install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by torquelover View Post
    Hey Michael, the wiring craziness you see is an attempt at getting home after the headlights failed to work at 2AM on a wet 2* day (Big thanks to the mandatory on-board toolbox gods). So, as mentioned above, I redirected the high-beam output to the low-beams. If you disconnect all the add-ins, and plug everything back in it will work as normal, as long as you have replaced the faulty multifunction switch. The two NIB headlights I gave you match the low-beams currently on the car if you want to properly set up relays and wiring for the 4 low-beam-bulbs-on MIB look. There should be a brandy new relay in the mystery box I gave you just for this purpose, IIRC.
    Yep, I had that relay out and was playing with it just a couple days ago. I'm thinking right now that if I do the four-low-beam thing I should rig a separate switch to shut off the extra lowbeams when they're not needed.

What faulty multifunction switch? Only switch problem I've noticed is no high speed on the wipers, and I've got a replacement for that provided I eventually get around to installing it.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I bought a harness from summit racing for $35 with the relays. All I had to do was plug it in, and move the pins around a little (I did an H4 conversion). But, it was a plug in deal to keep the sealed beams. I'm not sure if the harness still exists, but I'd rather buy a harness for cheap, than to try to make my own.

As another aside, my '88 P72 had an incredibly bulky auxillary harness that tied into the headlights. I'm not sure whether that was wig wags, or other front lights, or both.
      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by gabegt90 View Post
        it seams to me that maybe the low beams are pluged in to the to the high beam side wrong wire in the connector

Comment

Mike, if you want ultimate light power for cheap get the H4666 lamps - that comment is complete bullshit, the 4666s are 10W more powerful than the H4656 on both low and high beams - with my quad low conversion and 4666s you end up with 220W in the low beams and 260W on high, compared to the pathetic 90W lows and 220W highs with the H4656 in stock configuration. So yeah, four of the 4666s on low is like running 5 of the regular lights, and trust me it shows well.

Comment

Originally posted by MeLikeyStripperChicks View Post
            Mike, if you want ultimate light power for cheap get the H4666 lamps - that comment is complete bullshit, the 4666s are 10W more powerful than the H4656 on both low and high beams - with my quad low conversion and 4666s you end up with 220W in the low beams and 260W on high, compared to the pathetic 90W lows and 220W highs with the H4656 in stock configuration. So yeah, four of the 4666s on low is like running 5 of the regular lights, and trust me it shows well.
            So then one would just get a bunch of 8mm spade plugs instead of the correct 4656/H4-style sockets, huh? I took a gander around, and I'm not yet coming up with anything for replacement H4666 plugs like I found for H4s ....

May have to consider the H4666 for the future, since I currently have about six good 4656 bulbs at my disposal.

Comment

Visit a junkyard, pull sockets off a suitable vehicle, then yank the spade connectors inside them out and put your new 8mm connectors with your new big wires attached.

Comment

Sounds reasonable enough. Except that judging by availability online, this 4666 socket looks very much like a junkyard-only part ....

Cars that use the H4666/H6545 headlight: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...242+4294768635

Picter from site that claims to sell the sockets (1 of 1 so far ...):

Last edited by 1987cp; 11-11-2008, 01:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X