Radio Memory Loss After Ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radio Memory Loss After Ignition

I know I've mentioned this in another post some time ago, but my cheapo aftermarket head unit loses all memory every time I start the car - and only when I start the car. Normally such a limited fault wouldn't be a big deal, but I find myself starting the car fairly often, and having to repeatedly turn the radio back on and cycle to Bluetooth is not great.

I suspect the radio loses memory from voltage drop through the constant 12v+ wire. Perhaps this is due to a problem elsewhere in the electrical system, but I'm wondering if it's instead a product of the cheapness of my head unit. After all, the message center doesn't lose its memory, and it's presumably experiencing the same drop in voltage at the same time.

Assuming this voltage drop is the culprit, is there some electric gizmo I can wire in line to fix it? Like a voltage regulator, or a diode and capacitor?
    1987 Lincoln Town Car - Signature, "Prudence"

Usually the yellow wire is constant hot. Whatever the installer hooked to turns off during cranking, like most of the circuits do. You'll need to find a constant hot that stays on during cranking.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Jeez, for all that effort just buy a proper stereo. It's a Lincoln, not some cheapie base model Ford after all.

Edit: What Tiggie said. People seem to charge 2 - 3x what it used to cost, but still can't do it right, so check the wiring first.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I'd get a good schematic and recheck/redo all the wiring myself. I've had to redo many stereo setups after the "experts" (graduates from "Insanity University") performed "surgery"!
        What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
        What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

I'm looking at the EVTM and the wire the yellow connects to is listed as 'hot at all times'. It runs back to fuse 8, which also supplies the courtesy lamps, as well as the warning lamps cluster. And I can see the warning lamps are lit while cranking, leading me to believe the whole circuit stays hot. A previous owner added an in-line fuse right before the radio yellow wire. I don't know if that could cause voltage to drop, since it reads fine at all other times.

As for buying something better, I'm not necessarily opposed to that, but it's tough finding aftermarket stuff that doesn't look ridiculous. All I want is a matte black finish with a good volume knob and a clean button layout. And that seems hard to come by.

Comment

I like the older Alpines but that is a personal preference.
            What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
            What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

How about Continental's commercial lineup?
              https://www.continental-automotive.c...ainment/Radios

Or Blaupunkt's more retro looking ones. Madrid, Milano, Valecia etc. Bremen if you ballin'.
              https://blaupunkt.com/automotive/inc...ent/autoradio/

They're not too expensive and sounds about what you'd want.
              Probably gonna get a Blaupunkt if/when I upgrade the head unit in my MGM.
              1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
              1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Yeah, the Blaupunkts are probably my best bet, short of a stock head unit with a Bluetooth retrofit. Though it looks like most of their products are meant for the European market. Don't know if that would have any impact on things like the radio, but buying one new here could take a little doing.

But a better head unit is north of 100 bucks. I was just curious if there's a way I could rig my current stereo memory to survive ignition. Because if something like a capacitor and diode would work, it's probably going to be a small fraction of the cost.

Comment

There could be a bit of resistance in the custom inline fuse setup. If it is not hard open the insulation on both sides of the fuse holder and bypass it with alligator clips just to rule that out.
                  03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                  02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                  08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                  12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I just searched Crutchfield and spec'd your 87 TC Signature with Premium Sound (assuming it has this) and came up with this Pioneer that looks like maybe what you're after:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130DS4...T.html?tp=5684

You also have the option buying all the harnesses necessary to either keep or bypass the factory amp (if you have this option). I've never had an issue with the pre-made wire harnesses from them. Just plug and play, no guessing, soldering, etc. And it keeps the factory harness in 1 piece At this point in time I don't even want to fool with EVTM's and figuring out what wire runs what so paying the little extra to make it easier is all good with me.
                    These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post
                      How about Continental's commercial lineup?
                      https://www.continental-automotive.c...ainment/Radios

Or Blaupunkt's more retro looking ones. Madrid, Milano, Valecia etc. Bremen if you ballin'.
                      https://blaupunkt.com/automotive/inc...ent/autoradio/

They're not too expensive and sounds about what you'd want.
                      Probably gonna get a Blaupunkt if/when I upgrade the head unit in my MGM.
                      Whoa, those Continentals are nice looking. Too bad you can't switch the backlighting to green.

Here's a Sony unit: DSX-GS80 High-power Bluetooth® Car Stereo with EXTRA BASS™ | Sony Liberia
                      The illumination is customizable and it doesn't stand out like a sore thumb. Actually looks better than the one I've got in my Town Car. Fun fact: Sony supplied the factory CD player for the Town Car.
                      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                      X