what 6x9s do you like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crown vic muscle View Post
    these are what i had when i had my vic. they sound great and are really loud. they sound good with a stock head unit or with an amp. they can handle loads of power. i ran them with about 300 watts rms going to each speaker. they are kinda hard to find in a store to listen to.

its a huge speaker that takes up a LOT of space. the magnet isnt just for looks lol
    Holy fuck that's a speaker. lol
    Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
    New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

I liked Alpines the most in the store but they were 6 feet apart and mounted at ear height
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

huge magnets crack me up. The whole reason for that is to get a strong magnetic field out of a poor quality magnet material, usually iron ferrite. Change that out to AlNiCo or neodymium and you can make the magnet way smaller. Tradeoff is that those materials are more expensive, and everyone knows that bigger is obviously better.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

For my '90 Crown Vic sedan, I have 3-way 6 1/2 inch Polks in the doors and 3-way 6x9 Polks in the rear going through an Alpine AM-FM/CD unit (no external amp). They are very smooth-sounding.

Comment

oh yeah... the pioneer 6x9s in the 88MGM and 93vic are the 4-way buggers. They're not real bassy though which begs for some subs in the vic, but they are clean enough for me.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

something I just realized on my car: if the rear speakers are oddly lacking in bass, try shifting the balance full left or full right. If the bass gets better, one of the speakers is wired up backwards. If you can't figure out which one, just flip the wires on either of them and it should make thing sound better.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

iv always like pioneer, alpine and rockford.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I heard a set of Infinity speakers today that I fell in love with. 160 bucks though...I think they were Kappas
                  sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

High end JL, Hertz, or Pioneer speakers. Also, lose the Sony deck as the built in amps are about the worst of the aftermarket, very dirty power out of them and they tend to eat speakers for that reason.

Pioneer still makes one of the better and MUCH more adjustable decks for the money too.
                    1990 LTD Crown Vic w/ dead 5.0
                    1984 Pontiac 6000 cammed 2.5L Iron Duke
                    1986 F-150 300 6cyl 5spd.
                    1994 Crown Vic... Free, bad trans?

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      huge magnets crack me up. The whole reason for that is to get a strong magnetic field out of a poor quality magnet material, usually iron ferrite. Change that out to AlNiCo or neodymium and you can make the magnet way smaller. Tradeoff is that those materials are more expensive, and everyone knows that bigger is obviously better.
                      You will get no arguments from me on this. bigger isn't always better. it was fun to stick them to the side of my tool cabinet and let them hang there lol. they sucked ass to install and i cant put them into anything else. they are huge, but handle loads of power. the ones i got were cheap, something like $50 for the set and sounded amazing when i had them in the vic hooked up to a 1200 watt amp. each speaker was getting about 300 watts RMS. It was hard to get them to distort at all. I will agree with 6x9's being an inferior speaker. Its very hard and inefficient to drive an oval cone. they tend to flex a lot at the long ends, they don't move uniformly at all.
                      What happened here?

Comment

Originally posted by 351m View Post
                        High end JL, Hertz, or Pioneer speakers. Also, lose the Sony deck as the built in amps are about the worst of the aftermarket, very dirty power out of them and they tend to eat speakers for that reason.

Pioneer still makes one of the better and MUCH more adjustable decks for the money too.
                        i agree. thats why i stick with pioneer products and far away from sony. they call em the "explode" for a reason lol

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
                          i agree. thats why i stick with pioneer products and far away from sony. they call em the "explode" for a reason lol
                          I will never buy a product that is named after something that could go horribly wrong with it. lol
                          Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
                          New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

Never have been into booming stereo, just something that sounds nice. Currently have Pioneer in the dash and Pioneer 3-way 6x9s in the rear. Were rather inexpensive and sound nice. In the doors just have some cheapo non-brand name speakers.

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
                            Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
                            Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
                            NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
                              my Xplod deck has been nothing but great from day 1. The only feature I wish it had is an iPod input (not a 1/8" stereo jack, an actual proprietary iPod connector)
                              sigpic

Comment

Get a decent Pioneer deck, get familiar with the eqs and crossovers and you will never go back. I currently run an old Clarion, its nice but I miss the functionality of my old Premier head unit.
                                1990 LTD Crown Vic w/ dead 5.0
                                1984 Pontiac 6000 cammed 2.5L Iron Duke
                                1986 F-150 300 6cyl 5spd.
                                1994 Crown Vic... Free, bad trans?

Comment

Working...
                                X