No announcement yet.

Advice Needed on Low Power Speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79-91 6.5" front door (5.25" on ones that have the plastic spacer), 5" on the dash (5.25" can be worked into these locations easy enough and 4" used with adapter rings), 6x9 rear deck.

92+ have no dash speakers for standard systems, 6x8 in the front doors and 6x9 (or 6x8 with an adapter ring) in the rear deck.

this is of course IIRC

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by TomO View Post
      Well, I got the radio harness wired in -- including running new wires to the speakers. Hooked up the radio to the harness and to my surprise, it worked. By trial and error, I was luckily able to splice into the dash board speakers so that the door speakers also work. I don't know if it's just me, but the door speakers seem to have more of a bass response while the dash speakers have more of a treble response. So, I'm glad I got all four working to give a fuller sound. I didn't mess with running wire to the rear speakers because it would have involved a lot more work and I'm getting a pretty good sound with just the front 4 anyway. Besides, the radio doesn't have a fade control -- only balance. All I have to do now is mount the radio in the dash (which will require fabricating some brackets) and putting the dash pad back on.

I'm glad to have a radio now. Thanks to everyone for the advice -- it helped a lot.
      my guess is that you havnt found the fader yet i have yet to see one that doesnt have one, but yes the front speakers were designed for high mids and highs they even come with their own bass blocking capacitor.a 3 inch speaker will not have the baas response that a 6.5 will nior will a 6.5 have the response a 12 inch speaker.
      89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
        79-91 6.5" front door (5.25" on ones that have the plastic spacer), 5" on the dash (5.25" can be worked into these locations easy enough and 4" used with adapter rings), 6x9 rear deck.
        I took the dash pad off, but not the door panels. So, I saw the dash speakers, but not the door speakers. Judging from the size of the speaker grill in the doors I was assuming they were about the same size as the dash speakers, but since I didn't actually see them, I don't really know how big the door speakers are.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomie View Post
          my guess is that you havnt found the fader yet i have yet to see one that doesnt have one,
          I'm positive that there is no fader. The radio is pretty old (I bought it brand new back in 1989). I also found the owner's manual for the radio and it shows only balance but no fader. In fact, the only electronic part of the radio is the tuner. The volume, tone and balance are the old school variable resistor or whatever you call them.

but yes the front speakers were designed for high mids and highs they even come with their own bass blocking capacitor.a 3 inch speaker will not have the baas response that a 6.5 will nior will a 6.5 have the response a 12 inch speaker.
          Yeah, I noticed that the dash speakers had huge capacitors, and I was wondering what they were for -- now I know. I'm sure the dash speakers were much bigger than 3" -- probably the 5" as Slymer mentioned above. In fact they were so big that there was only a couple of inches between the front speaker screws and the windshield -- so I had to buy one of those special screwdrivers that looks sort of like a wrench in order to get the speakers out.

Comment

<----YES lol

most box panthers have whats called a common ground,
            I think that changed in 88. Both of my 89s had two wire systems. Also, IMO the easiest way I found to do a stereo swap in a "Premium Sound" vehicle is to get a hold of an "Amp Bypass" cable. You pull out both connectors from the factory amp in the trunk and then this cable essentially joins them back together (without the amp) . This allows the cleanest sound from your new head unit and avoids running new wires. Crutchfield used to sell them in addition to the proper harness for the "square" speaker plug behind the radio.
            2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
            2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
            Past Panthers
            1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
            if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Originally posted by TomO View Post
              I'm positive that there is no fader. The radio is pretty old (I bought it brand new back in 1989). I also found the owner's manual for the radio and it shows only balance but no fader. In fact, the only electronic part of the radio is the tuner. The volume, tone and balance are the old school variable resistor or whatever you call them.

Yeah, I noticed that the dash speakers had huge capacitors, and I was wondering what they were for -- now I know. I'm sure the dash speakers were much bigger than 3" -- probably the 5" as Slymer mentioned above. In fact they were so big that there was only a couple of inches between the front speaker screws and the windshield -- so I had to buy one of those special screwdrivers that looks sort of like a wrench in order to get the speakers out.
              Yep the old stuff only had like 2 channels.

the dash speaker are like 3.5 or 4 something like that 5.1/4-6.5 are usually in the doors. also when i took min out i used a small rachet and a screwdriver bit
              89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Working...
              X