No announcement yet.

Refurbishing Factory Premium Sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No bulb on this style. There is a slightly newer one that does have a backlit display though. Those are an LCD with black digits and a green lamp behind it. Thats the 6 memory radio with the knobs.
    **edit** this one
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	703.9 KB ID:	1385888

These are what is called a VFD, a vacuum flourescent display. It actually runs on 40 volts or so for the plates and about 2 volts for the filament. Its a vacuum tube, or related to a CRT.

anyway, what happens is the flyback transformer that creates the high voltage inside dies. Its on a board down inside somewhere. In theory its an easy fix, you replace the transformer on the board. The problem is they don't seem to exist anymore so I have no idea where you get one. I've got one that became a parts radio for exactly the same reason. Pulled the transformer out and it ohm checked open.
    Last edited by gadget73; 02-05-2023, 09:11 PM.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Interesting info Gadget. Not surprised that the parts to fix the VFD are not available.

Comment

I've got the early style VFD and later style backlit style AM/FM stereo units. My early unit also has suffered from the failed transformer issue (amongst some other wonky issues), but the regular illuminated components always worked.

My Cars:
        -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
        -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          No bulb on this style. There is a slightly newer one that does have a backlit display though. Those are an LCD with black digits and a green lamp behind it. Thats the 6 memory radio with the knobs.
          **edit** this one
          Click image for larger version Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	703.9 KB ID:	1385888

These are what is called a VFD, a vacuum flourescent display. It actually runs on 40 volts or so for the plates and about 2 volts for the filament. Its a vacuum tube, or related to a CRT.

anyway, what happens is the flyback transformer that creates the high voltage inside dies. Its on a board down inside somewhere. In theory its an easy fix, you replace the transformer on the board. The problem is they don't seem to exist anymore so I have no idea where you get one. I've got one that became a parts radio for exactly the same reason. Pulled the transformer out and it ohm checked open.
          thanks for the information.

any idea what it looks like and what its values should be. I work in a place that used to repair electronic tv and camera equipment dating back to the 70’s. We have tons of little electronic components around in organizers. I am not well versed in this stuff though so some guidance is necessary. If I would somehow find a stash of them that would be pretty neat to repair some hurting radios.

~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

These are some scans from the service manual. I'd be lying if I could tell you where this physically lives inside the unit, but I don't remember it being all that difficult to access.

Entirely possible that a part from a VCR would get the job done, or maybe the entire board could be dumped for something else. I don't think it matters a ton, so long as it outputs the correct voltages to the rest of the circuit. Also not completely impossible the transformer could be re-wound. I never dug into it quite that far but its not large and I suspect the wiring would be fairly fine in there.
            Attached Files
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks Thain.

I printed them all out and will have to give it a good long time to soak in. Appreciate it.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
              X