Fuel gauge question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel gauge question

Can somebody tell me how exactly the fuel gauge works on an 85 MGM? I know that it works by the float system but for some reason the gauge takes about 100 miles to go from F to 3/4, but only takes 20 miles to go from 3/4 to 1/2 tank. Can someone explain this?

Could be the float sticking and not moving slowly to register properly.
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Mine does kinda the same, first half lasts way longer than the second. Also I got like 5/4th on the gauge since full tank is like a quarter beyond F
      Also when it hits E there's like 20 liters left in the tank. My sending unit (and tank generally) is clean, so I doubt there's too much stickiness in the float.
      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
      1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Also does anyone know why on these cars the gas pump always clicks off 2 gallons short of being full?

Comment

The wagon tanks are skinny in the middle and that causes this issue. Sedans are more rectangular, so in theory wouldn't be as much of a problem. Could be a problem with the circuit board. Here's what it looks like:

Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=1303298&d=1679608524.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	1388940

I've questioned whether or not the angle caused by high or low fuel levels would change the speed of the arm movement but can't seem to come to a conclusion that would cause it.
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Gauges are also usually calibrated to do this on purpose. Its probably anecdotal but I read something about an 80s car with digital dash, maybe a Caddy, but Lincolns worked the same way. The gauge read accurately, so when it was 1 gallon down from full it said so. People complained about poor fuel mileage, even though it was fine. The next year the gauge wouldn't start ticking down until it was 2 gallons down from F and suddenly the fuel economy complaints were "fixed". I don't know if thats BS, but I can tell you my Continental reads F when full, and the next step down is 20 gallons. Its a 22 gallon fuel tank and never indicates 21 gallons. That gauge is DOB accurate too, when it died at the fuel pump claiming 3 gallons, it took 18.6 to fill.

The Towncar will go an easy 50 miles before the gauge drops from the corner down to F. 1/2 tank takes 10 gallons, its an 18 gallon tank. E is absolutely E though, none of that 'I got another 25 miles' crap in that one. You can re-calibrate it if it bugs you too much, just bend the arm on the float a bit.

assuming the sending unit isn't just worn out, which is entirely possible. The IVR, Instrument Voltage Regulator, also has some effect on all this. Its a mechanical thing, basically works just like a blinker stat. It provides pulsed voltage that averages out somewhere around 5 volts i think. The gauge itself also works on heat, which allows it to respond slowly rather than going bonkers every time the fuel sloshes in a turn or bump. The current flow through the sending unit changes how hot the gauge gets, and thats how the fuel level is indicated. If the IVR is whacky because its 40 years old and tired of pulsing on and off the voltage gets off and the gauge reads weird too. The IVR is that metal can thing on the back of the cluster. Modern solid state replacements exist that just plug in to the original location. They do away with the mechanical pulsed contacts thing and just use a modern solid state regulator that provides stable output voltage. Can also DIY one with something like an LM7805 and a small capacitor.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Usually I can squeeze in about 10 gallons at a half tank, if these cars have an 18 gallon tank would that mean the gauge is off? The pump usually shuts off around 8.5 gallons and I’ll squeeze an extra 2 or so in it

Comment

Mine is dead on 10 gallons from 1/2 to full. Yes its an 18 gallon tank. I suppose if you really wanted to you could tweak the arm to change the gauge calibration, but honestly if its consistent I'd just leave it alone and just be mindful of when you need to put gas in the tank.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It's a bit of a curve and not a linear sweep, so yeah. It's HORRIBLE in my Expedition. A hair above 1/4 tank on the gauge is actually half a tank in fuel. The gauge races down to 1/4 and then takes forever to get to empty. My vics on the other hand do about the same as your car. it's about 55/45 top half, bottom half.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    The IVR, Instrument Voltage Regulator, also has some effect on all this. Its a mechanical thing, basically works just like a blinker stat. It provides pulsed voltage that averages out somewhere around 5 volts i think. The gauge itself also works on heat, which allows it to respond slowly rather than going bonkers every time the fuel sloshes in a turn or bump. The current flow through the sending unit changes how hot the gauge gets, and thats how the fuel level is indicated. If the IVR is whacky because its 40 years old and tired of pulsing on and off the voltage gets off and the gauge reads weird too. The IVR is that metal can thing on the back of the cluster. Modern solid state replacements exist that just plug in to the original location. They do away with the mechanical pulsed contacts thing and just use a modern solid state regulator that provides stable output voltage. Can also DIY one with something like an LM7805 and a small capacitor.
                    is this why sometimes the fuel reading will be slightly different in the morning than it was when I park it the night before?

Comment

Yes. And the anti-slosh module. As for bodging in a 7805, YMMV. Might need a heat sink bolted on. I don't remember what the current draw is on all that... I don't think it's too much for a standard 7805, but I'm not sure it'll run cool either.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Btw, Dennis Carpenter sells a modern IVR for "77-86 Ford Trucks & Cars" for a whopping 24 dollaridoos.
                        Dunno if it fits but they are available.
                        1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                        1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Working...
                        X