17" Rims Year Round

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

17" Rims Year Round

Wanted to ask what a decent set of 17" rims might be for my 1986 Mercury Grand Marquis LS.

I'm told that I should go with steel painted; is this sound advice?

Powder coated wheels are the most durable, painted after that. Polished and other bare or laquer finished wheels take a toll from winter. Unless it's like a Florida winter...
    8" wide is probably most you'd want to go for comfort over style.
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
    1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Stock early whale fan blades (98-02 LX Sport) wheels seem to be a popular option since they have the proper spacing.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

So if I bought steel wheels and then had them powder coated, I'd be alright for year round driving?

Comment

If that's all you need, yes.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

So I went to a tire place to get my backspace/offset/whatever measured, and then I asked them about getting 17" rims put on.

Apparently alloy rims are better to powder coat than steel; is this true?

Comment

probably easier, but the bumper/grill guard on my expedition is powder coated and all steel. Powder coat is more durable than paint, but it's also known to chip off of steel if damaged since steel is less porous IIRC. It seems like a sound theory. But, after everything is said and done, it is your money. Paint is cheaper than powder coat, so there is that.

Comment

As a guy who developed powder coating and whom now develops automotive pretreatment, a paint system's level of protection is only as good as the pretreatment layer & cleaning process beneath it.

If your wheels will see salt exposure, no paint system on it's own will hold up well for very long. From the factory, the steel wheels were cleaned, ecoated and painted, not sure with what, but that process is why they held up for so long. If it were me, I'd just buy aftermarket or factory wheels that haven't been dinked with, are in good shape and run 'em. If you must go with steel wheels, sand blast them to remove all paint and rust, clean with naptha & IPA real well and then spray some sort of zinc rich primer on 'em followed by primer sealer, basecoat and then clear coat. Make sure none of the paints are epoxy, that stuff isn't UV stable.
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I think I'll go with alloy powder coated. Now to find the proper sized 17" rim; the local tire shop gave me a bunch of websites to check out.

I'm definitely overwhelmed, but I think I'm going to go with a muted gold colour or mayyyybe a muted copper or bronze.

Opinions on what looks nice on a black-with-silver-trim 86 MGM?

Comment

I've always liked wide 5-spoke types and turbines. The 5 spoke styles are typically easier to keep clean though since you can more easily get between the spokes, so there's that. The more ornate the wheel, the more detailed the cleaning needs to be to look nice. Black gloss center and polished/cleared lip is a classic favorite for many folks that I know of.

I don't know of any specific models of wheels in 17" other than the stock early whale (98-02) LX sport "fan blades" that I would consider except one... the American Racing Torq Thrust II.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                      I've always liked wide 5-spoke types and turbines. The 5 spoke styles are typically easier to keep clean though since you can more easily get between the spokes, so there's that. The more ornate the wheel, the more detailed the cleaning needs to be to look nice. Black gloss center and polished/cleared lip is a classic favorite for many folks that I know of.

I don't know of any specific models of wheels in 17" other than the stock early whale (98-02) LX sport "fan blades" that I would consider except one... the American Racing Torq Thrust II.
                      Are you referring to these?
                      https://www.canadawheels.ca/american...RoC5JQQAvD_BwE

They're polished, and I was told polished was reallllllly bad for winter driving...

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_From_Red_Deer View Post

Are you referring to these?
                        https://www.canadawheels.ca/american...RoC5JQQAvD_BwE

They're polished, and I was told polished was reallllllly bad for winter driving...
                        Torq Thrusts can be had in a dozen different finishes, some are probably completely powder coated.
                        I've heard that ceramic coating will keep lacquer coated wheels in better shape, though as usual, most deterioration starts from surface damage from rock chips and such.

Polished and machined (and chrome) wheels can absolutely be used during winter, but they need to be protected with wax or a coating of sorts, plus washed often.
                        Once the clear coat / lacquer surface is damaged, corrosion starts creeping underneath and only a refinish will get save them then.
                        1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                        1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Yeah... that's the style I was talking about. I was suggesting a place to start looking... to give you ideas, not a specific wheel to go with.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                            Yeah... that's the style I was talking about. I was suggesting a place to start looking... to give you ideas, not a specific wheel to go with.
                            Ah. I see.

I appreciate everyone chiming in. I have to get my wheels retorqued so I will inquire about some alloy wheels that can be powder coated and look snazzy.

...But not too snazzy, because thieves.

Comment

So I've zeroed in on some US Magnum U111 17" x 7" wheels.

I was advised to wait until spring before ordering them though; I've since decided that I will use my current 15" wheels for winter driving and these suckers for non-winter driving.

https://www.partsengine.ca/U11117706...heels-900.aspx

Opinions?

Comment

Working...
                              X