B-Pillar rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B-Pillar rust

I found some rust where the B pillar meets the rocker. This is a Texas car, not a northeast rust heap. I had the carpet out for an unrelated water leak and first noticed this rusty spot:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6671.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	3.30 MB
ID:	1392906

I looked into the base of the B pillar and tore out this stupid foam:

Name:	IMG_6673.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	3.13 MB
ID:	1392907

And found a puddle of water and some very serious rust, which I couldn't get my phone camera to focus on:

Name:	IMG_6672.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	1392908

I tore out the foam on the drivers side and found similar damage. My only theory on how the water got in is through the roof trim clips (half-style vinyl top) and dripping down the B pillar. I have not pulled the headliner yet to see if there's any supporting evidence but I will.

I think I am going to do some surgery and get as much rust out as I can. My idea is to drill out the spot welds, make a cut at the solid red line, and remove this piece. Grind, treat, weld back in, and POR15. Thoughts?

Name:	image.png
Views:	91
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	1392909

My '89 MGM was a 50th anniversary edition which had an upfitter put a half cloth top on in place of the stock vinyl. there were holes along where the front edge of the half top trim strip would be that I found when I pulled the headliner after getting a wet shoulder from the water running down my seatbelt. They didn't even fill the holes, just slapped the cloth top over it.

All that to say that you may have a roof leak depositing water in that foam. That area isn't rotted out even on my rot boxes. It could be worth pulling the headliner to investigate if a roof leak might be the case unless your car did not have a half vinyl top from the factory.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

On cutting it out: That's a very structural part. I would hesitate to cut it, for fear of what would happen in a side impact collision. Welded areas look fine but would likely break instead of bend. If it's just surface rust, not structurally weakened, I would use some type of rust encapsulator on it.
      I echo VCV - very likely a B-pillar issue. Does yours have the light on the B-pillar?
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
        On cutting it out: That's a very structural part. ......... If it's just surface rust, not structurally weakened, I would use some type of rust encapsulator on it.
        Agreed - critical structure. But the rust is more than just surface. it's enough that bits flake off with pretty minimal scraping. I do hope/plan to use rust encapsulator, but I don't think I can get proper access without cutting my way in there. Then I can really inspect and replace some steel if I have to.

I would hesitate to cut it, for fear of what would happen in a side impact collision. Welded areas look fine but would likely break instead of bend.
        ​Will brittle welds be more dangerous in a crash than rusty metal? Maybe. Seems hard to know for sure. I don't take this lightly.

I echo VCV - very likely a B-pillar issue. Does yours have the light on the B-pillar?

​Yes, it has the light. I don't see any evidence of water coming in around the light.

I pulled the headliner last night. It's dryer than a popcorn fart up there. The sealer on the clip fasteners is still visible:

Name:	IMG_6679.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	2.99 MB
ID:	1392938

I think all the water is coming into the B pillar itself, from a combination of places. One is where an exterior trim screw penetrates (although not the one visible in this photo):

Name:	IMG_6681.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	1392941

The main evidence is in this photo, through the rear door hinge and the rear light switch. Also the wiring grommet, just out of view:

Name:	IMG_6682.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	2.15 MB
ID:	1392943
        Attached Files

Comment

Right now my plan is to seal those areas and leak-check them. I'm not 100% decided on the cut-and-weld but I'm leaning that way. The saving grace is that I only have to cut out about a third of the attachment of the B-pillar to the rocker, so I'm not worried about getting it back in the right place.

I'm disappointed in the design of this area. It's clearly not water-tight, and usually they provide an exit path for water. Instead they did the opposite with that big chunk of foam that trapped it and retained it.

Comment

Might be worth setting up a hose and spraying the thing to see if water isn't also coming in from the B-pillar light. Also, these things weren't designed to last 30+ years, so it did pretty well. All cars have sound deadening foam in the rocker panels and just about every car sheds their rockers when they do start to rust.
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I will water-test the lights before I button anything up. I did see a couple small slots in the top of the rocker inside the B-pillar that would allow some drainage, but I guess they were sealed by the foam.

Comment

That picture with the headliner out is jogging my memory. Those plastic cup-like things were just hanging out on top of my headliner. The holes in the roof at those spots were wide open under the add-on cloth top.

Factory drainage slots seem to usually be a spot for rot if the drainage hole gets blocked. As long as they are clear like they should be, they are a good thing.

​​
                Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Could also be coming in around where the rear doors bolt to the b-pillar? I'm sure there was originally seam sealer behind the hinge that's degraded.
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Working...
                  X